AVIC411.com

Avic-X920BT - Wiring Harness / Double Din Mounting Kit

Hello everyone,

I'm a new member and I have a question about the Avic-X920BT that I'm about to purchase. I have a 2004 Mustang 3.9L coupe with a aftermarket single din Pioneer headset that I purchased aprox. 4 years ago (not sure of the model - and I can't acquire it right now because I'm in Afghanistan) I was wondering if I'll be needing a new harness or if I'll be able to use the one that's currently installed. Also, being that I'm currently using a single din mounting kit, I'm assuming I'll need a new one (double din). What make and model would you suggest I go with ?

Thanks to any responses in advance,

-Colin

• 2 weeks later...

yes you will need a new dash kit: scosche FD1428B

you should be able to use the same wire harness (the pioneer harness will probably be different, but the aftermarket one should still be good)

and if you have a 04 pony V6(SN-95) then its a 3.8L sohc motor, fords 3.9 is a twin cam V8.

• 2 weeks later...

Appreciate the help man :-) you seem to know some stuff about Mustangs. Is it difficult to install the Avic-X920BT ? The reason I'm asking is I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to take it in to have it done or do it myself. Also, thinking about putting a rear camera in via the trunk keyhole. Would this be a hard install ?

Thanks for your help in advance,

-Colin

yea im a ford man, so they are my specialty, and my buddy has a shop and all he does is pretty much ponys

the late SN95's(01-04) are the easiest mustangs to work on

you just have to pull up on the trim around the shifter then pull out on the panel that goes around the radio, unplug the trac button (and others) exposing the two 7mm screws at the bottom of the radio holding it in.

mounting the AVIC into the dash kit is super easy, it just screws in, also make sure to add the rear support bracket (one screw) to keep the avic from bouncing around and rattling.

and you already have the wire harness, so you will just need to wire it up to the new harness from the avic, most V6's dont have the mach system so you shouldn't have to do any thing special (even if you did have the mach system it should have been taken care of with the first radio)

do the bypass,

run the mic cable,

then mount the GPS antenna (i would try to mount it below the dash but above the heater vents)

if doing the camera, you will need to run the video cables and tap into the reverse lights (which can sometimes be done near the front of the car or at the light itself since you will be back there anyway running the video wire)

run the ipod cable (if wanted)(make sure you get the right one before the install because most peoples problems are because they use the wrong ones)

then put it all together and be glad that you saved $100 on the install labor

as far as the camera, the key holes are nice and hidden but i really dont like the camera being off center, with some flush mount cameras, you might need to drill the hole out bigger which can lead to rust issues, and if your camera ever fails then you have to find the exact same size which can be a pain in the @ss, i really like the license plate cameras they dont always look as good but they are always in the center and easy to replace if they fail

Hello there :-P

once again man ... thanks for all of your help. Definitely helped me out a lot .... I'm out here in Kabul as a federal contractor for the u.s embassy.. I get back in September...Definitely looking forward to installing this thing....something to look forward to :-)

Can I use my old xm tuner ? Can't remember the model number or whatever :-/

-Colin