AVIC411.com

New Z2 owner, fun story/a few questions

First of let me say Hi and that i am completely new to the world of indash dvd/gps units. Ill start off with a little back ground info, i Live in Charlottesville VA and if you have ever seen the nationwide "Crutchfield" electronics mag, then you might know that they are based here in Charlottesville. To make a long story short, i was in the actual Crutchfield store last week shopping for a simple do it all universal remote and stumbled upon the amazing outlet Dept in the back of the store and found a Z2 with that had been marked down multiple times all the way to $499. Now i have been in the market for a new head unit /gps for my newly purchased 2009 subaru wrx but had not given it much thought until last week. The Z2 unit i purchased was from the outlet, meaning that someone had purchased it, returned it for some reason within 30 days and Crutchfiled tests/verifies no damages and resells it as new with the warranty all re packaged but at a huge discount. I even jokingly asked the sales person to drop the price and he actually did come down to $399. He said he would do so because this unit had been sitting in the warehouse for awhile now and they just needed to move it. Long story short, i got a mint condition barley used Z2 for $399 with all wires/connectors and even the blue tooth adapter.

Now here are my questions. The install was very simple and straight forward on the unit and it is now all in my car and working flawlessly but, after browsing this amazing site, i see that there are many upgrades, hacks, firmware, maps and other option to better my Z2 that i am honestly feeling overwhelmed about. I am pretty savvy with cars and doing radio installs but, the wealth of information on here is just confusing me. :?:

Can someone break it all down in lamens-terms for me? Are there specific things i should do /purchase to upgrade my setup? I apologize for seeming ignorant but, any help / information or recommendations would be great!!

Thanks,

Darren

Off the top of my head, I can think of a few things: Garmin mic (better quality VR and phone calls), upgrade the maps and firmware to that of a Z3, two-wire bypass (can watch video and use nav functions while moving), and get a PAC-SWI adapter if your car has steering wheel controls.