AVIC411.com

Rear Screen Video/System Audio

Can I send DVD/iPod video to the rear screen and use the vehicle audio system for sound?

I took this for granted but am now starting to wonder.

Using the information in this thread viewtopic.php?f=56&t=27178&p=205295&hilit=AV1#p205295 (very helpful) I'm mostly clear on what to expect and not expect after installing the rear screen for my youngster.

Ideally, I will set her up with a video, use the car sound system, and likely have the GPS screen on the front. Let's say using AV1 as the rear screen source.

Page 158 describes "AV1—The video and sound of AV1 are output to the “Rear display”" and doesn't explicitly say you can have the audio from the 'mains'.

It's difficult to make the right choices when you can't test things in advance.

Anyone that can clarify that scenario or a scenario that does end up with video rear and audio through the system is a big help.

Thanks.

The audio for the rear screens will be output via RCA jacks to whatever you have in the back. In my case, it is sent to a wireless headphone system, so I can listed to one source over the vehicle speakers and the kids can listen to another via the headphones. You cannot make 2 diferent sources share the speakers (for example, iPod music on front speakers and DVD video audio on rear speakers will not work).

If you do not want to use heaphones for your backseat zone, you'll have to purchase a seperate amp, connect the RCA stereo outputs to it and connect the amp to some other speakers. This would make for a noisy/confusing environment becuase you'd have 2 different audio sources playing at similair volumes ojnly a few feet apart.

Now, if you pick the same source for the main and the rear screen (whether or not mirror av is active) then you can listen to what the rear screen is playing. I do this often when the kids are watching something that I enjoy, I'll have them put the headphones away and let them listen through the mains, and I'll tap the mode button to make sure it's on the navigation screen as - if I don't - I find my eyes wandering to the screen to often, it's VERY distracting (but useful when you have to navigate menus and such for the kids - thank goodness for the bypass hack). It's nice as I have a 10" sub under my seat and even though I'm not watching the movie, listening to the dialog and FEELING the effects of familiar movies is almost as good as watching it and a good way to safely stay entertained on long trips.

Ok, i have a question for. Hope you can help me out. I have a AVIC-Z110BT and have it installed in a 2007 GMC Sierra with factory rear entertainment, I can get audio when playing the movie over speakers and headphones, but when i turn off the movie on the head unit, the video still plays on the rear screen but not sound is produced through the headsets in the back. What ever the deck is playing the headsets are playing. Can you help me fix this issue? Thanks in advance. Chad

If you're 100% sure you connected the head unit rear seat audio out to your OEM rear seat video system, then I'm at a loss.... I know some vehcile nead a special adapter of some sort to make the head unit audio compatable with OEM rear seat entertainment units (the video works without an adapter but not the audio). Hopefully someone else will chime in with a better answer.

• 2 weeks later...

jrfuda thanks for the reply! I got away from this thread thinking it didn't get any response.

It isn't exactly what I would have preferred to hear, but it sure helps me understand and measure my expectations.

And yeah, it's all about my daughter on a rear seat monitor. She isn't really old enough to manage the transport controls and headphones reliably, but loves watching some of the animated movies (any Toy Story in particular), which makes it really easy to drive somewhere that takes an hour or more without her getting really restless.