AVIC411.com

Hi,

recently I had my subwoofer blow... the voice coil unwound and the magnet was extremely hot when u pulled it out of the box so I am assuming it overheated due to clipping. Now only recently I took it to a professional car audio installer in sydney to have my gains set... In fact they have one of the best reputations in countryt. He did it for free so he didn't hook it up to a RTA or CRO. He told me that this unit the unit should be able to go up to about 60 before clipping although he didn't actually sell or install them due to their poor quality. Apparently he only installed eclipse nav units. Now i just drove home from sydney for 6 hrs the other day before and had the music up pretty loud most of the way and it was fine, however yesterday i had some heavy bass going with the unit set to about 58-60 and then all of a sudden my amp goes into protect mode so I get home pull the sub out and could instantly smell that it had burnt out.

Is anybody able to confirm that this is due to clipping and has anybody connected their units to a CRO to see its clipping level on a sin wave? My amp isn't excessively overpowered for the RF P1S412 it was driving so Im highly doubtful it was excessive power causing the problem.

My amp isn't excessively overpowered for the RF P1S412 it was driving so Im highly doubtful it was excessive power causing the problem.

thats the biggest problem with ANY overpowering, there is just too much difference between the recorded levels of music. the settings could be tuned fine for 80% of the music out there, then the one song comes on that has just been recorded at a higher level and boom. then there is also the problem with a lot of new music where the studio purposely adds distortion for a sound effect, this is really dangerous when driving any equipment over its power limits

also the unit only goes up to 62 so 58-60 would definitely be in the distortion zone.

1loudls has, I believe.

nope sorry, i tune all my equipment and instruments by ear