AVIC411.com

Intermittent speakers working, found this...

All, i've seen this subject pop up multiple times, i mostly use an ipod on my f90bt, ever since the install my right speaker started not to work sometimes, mostly in the winter it was worse, if i reach behind the dash and jiggle the wires, the speaker will come on, i've narrowed this down to the factory pioneer harness, i have not had a chance to pull the deck and investigate any further, has anyone else farted with this issue?

All, i've seen this subject pop up multiple times, i mostly use an ipod on my f90bt, ever since the install my right speaker started not to work sometimes, mostly in the winter it was worse, if i reach behind the dash and jiggle the wires, the speaker will come on, i've narrowed this down to the factory pioneer harness, i have not had a chance to pull the deck and investigate any further, has anyone else farted with this issue?

Sounds like a bad connection. Pull it and resolder/fix butt-connectors/whatever and it should go away.

it's the front RCA set from the head unit, i thought originally my rca cables from the head unit rca's to the amp had a short, so i changed the cable out, and low and behold i have the same issue, i've only noticed this on the front RCA's though, mostly the right channel, i'm going to pull the head unit today and investigate further...

So you "jiggle" the right RCA for the front channels, when the right side cuts out, and it resolves the issue?

Do you have your RCA's taped or covered, is it possible that one is grounding out on the chassis?

and is it the side connecting to the harness that you are believing to be the issue?

If so, it could be a loose pin in the harness, investigate this when you remove it.. If not... head to ebay for a new RCA harness. looks like approx $54 shipped is the best price over there.

I've had the same issue for some time. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one(though it is unfortunate). I've tried pretty much everything except pulling the whole thing out and testing connections while the unit is on. I've checked all the connections before, but I guess I'm off to rip it all out again. Sigh.

I pulled it all apart and couldn't make it happen. Arg.

This only started happening recently, in the last few months. I've had the unit for two years. It only happens when playing from an iPod through the iPod connection. I can switch immediately to the radio or a cd and everything sounds fine. Rarely, disconnecting and reconnecting the iPod resolve it for a while, and sometimes a system restart fixes it, but never consistently. Very frustrating. I'll have to look at it tomorrow when I have a little more time.

I waited until the units exhibited the issue then took it apart. As soon as I pulled it out about an inch the right speakers returned to normal, so I know it's a connection issue. I'm also sure the problem is with the external media harness(the one with the rca connections). The wires came out and were bent to the left, so I rerouted them to the right. Hopefully that solves the problem because the connection is different now, but if it's because of a short, I may end up ordering a new harness from pioneer.

Also, I believe the problem is the connection to the head unit, not the rca connection to the iPod.

well heres what i found, i was under the impression it was my amp's rca cables to the head unit cause i would wiggle them and it would go away, i replaced it with the same issue, now my right channel still goes out, if i switch from the ipod to another source the channel works fine, it's definately a connection issue with the ipod rca harness, i disconnected the right channel and lost the sound, so there must be a bad connection on this cable or the rca's to the head unit, next time this happens i'll have to see if the rear right channel is out also.

I had the same issue, ONLY on the IPOD source, then eventually no video at all. I pulled the connector that plugs into the IPOD apart, and 3 pins were broken! I found very poor solder joints! I bet most of you guys problems can be fixed with a new IPOD cable, it fixed mine.

• 1 month later...

I am having the same problem. I actually heard some strange digital-type noise coming out of the right channel just an hour ago which made me do this search. After "love tapping" near the head unit on the right, the noise cleared up and it sounded great. I tried wiggling the iPod cable with no change. I assume the problem is in the head unit as a cold solder joint. At least we know it is not an output/amp issue as it only happens in iPod mode. So many people are having this issue, it must be a factory ooops. I repaired electronics for 10 years in the 80's and 90's and certain models of VCRs, TVs and Radios would come in for some common problem involving cold solder joints. You would get to know exactly where you needed to solder to fix it.

I was about to blame the software update (FX3.1) that I did, but software doesn't break and fix by tapping.

OK...it was a little more than a tap.

• 5 weeks later...

Well soldering the connector would have been a pita because everything has to come apart to get to that bottom board. What I did find, however, is that the problem appears to be the ipod cable at the RCA connections! I took everything apart and cleaned all the connections. 1 week later, right channel went out again. I barely touched the RCA connector and it popped back on. I put a zip tie on the cable (locked it in place) and have it where I can easily hide it or tug it when I need it fixed. I will probably finally get an Apple cable at some point though. Such a stupid thing makes these units appear to be complete junk. Perception.

Hell the 100 posts of people saying, "IT'S THE CABLE" must be right. :) I assumed people meant by the Ipod side, but in my case, it is the simple end that everyone should have perfected 40 years ago.