AVIC411.com

X920BT with Microsoft Sync

We just purchased an 08 Edge with the Microsoft Sync installed. It has a the top end Stereo but no NAV. I want to replace the Head Unit with a Pioneer X920BT and the PAC adapter that will utilize the steering wheel controls.

I would just like to hear for others who have perform this upgrade and what their impressions are concerning the voice activation being utilized from the steering wheel. Even their overall experience with the unit in a ford product with Sync.

Thanks in advance.

Depends entirely on the vehicle but getting the voice buttons to work, assuming you get the 1.6.8 version of the PAC, is very tricky. They (PAC) don't have very good instructions, if indeed any at all, for most vehicles and the voice buttons. With my Nissan Titan, for example, the default instructions will get everything but the voice buttons to work, because the wiring for the latter is located in an entirely different spot.

The truth is, the PAC's are a generic device made to work with a wide variety of vehicles and a lot of the time it's a victory just getting them to control volume and track up/down. Right now I have mine doing that and mode switch; if I ever want my answer and hang up buttons to work I'll have to run a separate set of wires down under my passenger seat and use a meter to literally find which connections to tap in to since PAC support doesn't know either.

Also the PAC's (or any steering wheel adapter) cannot assign more than one function to a single button - this is more a limitation of the head unit than PAC. So for example if your voice control button also serves as, say, the button you push to pick up a call when one comes in, you have to pick one or another. The Pioneer itself is limited in the remote commands; it's not context sensitive for one, and I think with the x920bt it won't even accept remote commands for Voice Control, only answer call and hang up.

Bottom line, while you can expect to get the most common controls to work work you probably aren't going to be able to duplicate your current buttons exactly.

^^^^^+1

with most fords the wires for the sync buttons(voice rec) go to different places then the wires for the stereo controls(volume, track, and source change), so the sync buttons will not work with the pac module. you may be able to find that wire at the sync module and connect it into the pac module the same way that you do with the nissan's that have multiple wires, as i want to try this on my sister's boyfriend's 2010 fusion, but i haven't got around to pulling the wire schematics and trying it yet (PAC's support was clueless when i presented them with this option and just told me that it was a no go)

does the avic's voice rec work? Yes, as good as the sync, No