AVIC411.com

New X920BT owner -- mute microphone / hiss

New X920BT owner here. Just had the system professionally installed in my 2005 VW Touareg, and I have a couple questions/observations:

1. When using a phone paired via Bluetooth, is it possible to mute the microphone from the Pioneer unit? I cannot seem to find the option either on the phone screens or in the manual.

2. I'm noticing a low-level hiss in all AV modes. I'm assuming this is some sort of glitch in the install. To help the installer nail it down, any possible suggestions as to what could be causing it?

3. When using Pandora Link, the app appears to bug out when you make/get a call on the iPhone. I had to completely disconnect the iPhone and reconnect it before the 920BT would correctly recognize the device.

1. When using a phone paired via Bluetooth, is it possible to mute the microphone from the Pioneer unit? I cannot seem to find the option either on the phone screens or in the manual.
this option should be in one of you phone screens (it is with my blackberry) it is usually the same way that you mute the call when just talking on the phone, do not believe ther eis any way t d it from the avic's screen, just from the phone itself.

2. I'm noticing a low-level hiss in all AV modes. I'm assuming this is some sort of glitch in the install. To help the installer nail it down, any possible suggestions as to what could be causing it?

unfortunately this is not a fixable problem, it is a flaw in the design of the device, they all do it, and nothing can be done about it, it has been discussed many times before, however if you have a factory ampflied system, it will make this problem even worse.

3. When using Pandora Link, the app appears to bug out when you make/get a call on the iPhone. I had to completely disconnect the iPhone and reconnect it before the 920BT would correctly recognize the device.
cant really help you with that one, sorry
unfortunately this is not a fixable problem, it is a flaw in the design of the device, they all do it, and nothing can be done about it, it has been discussed many times before, however if you have a factory ampflied system, it will make this problem even worse.

What is the flaw which causes this particular issue? And why would a 3rd party head unit cause it and an OEM unit not?

why would a 3rd party head unit cause it and an OEM unit not?

because not all headunits are the same, the alpine ive had before didn't do it, the kenwood nav i just put into my sister's boyfriend's car doesn't as well, actually only all of the f-series, and x-series that i have installed have done it

What is the flaw which causes this particular issue?

let me start off by saying that this is all just a hypothesis, gathered from experience and talking with people much more knowledgeable about this kind of stuff.

this unit is not your average type of radio, it basically is a small computer (it does run off of a windows OS) that connects to an amplifier. i believe that the problem comes from the way that the software side of the unit get its signals to the hardware side of the unit, for instance i have never hooked a computer(with the basic on board sound chip) up to a set of amplified speakers (normal computer speakers that have there own volume control) and it not had the same problem, even when there is nothing playing there is a tiny amount of static that it there all the time, i believe that this is the same thing that is going on here. take kenwood for example, there navs are just a normal radio(a standard piece of audio equipment with different sources(nav being one of them), preamp, and amp with an elaborate display) that uses the nav portion just like any other source, but the avics are a computer(computer that processes every source, a preamp, and an amp) and i dont know if it is just bad engineering or cheap parts being used, or they where just hoping that most people wont hear it(a lot of them haven't until I've pointed it out and let them listen to something that doesn't make the noise)

most of the time this problem is just made worse with cars that have a factory amp, with factory systems that have the amp, every piece of the system was designed to only be used with every part so it works together flawlessly, however with aftermarket equipment, it is designed to be used with all different aftermarket equipment (all made by different companies an not sharing any info with each other so they do the best they can to make it universal) and sometimes it is not fully compatible with factory equipment(as far as the exact type and strength of signals is concerned)

What are you talking about, hiss? I installed my x920BT myself, with new amp, speakers, etc and there's no hiss at all.

so there is absolutely no noise what so ever coming from the system no matter how faint it might be? there is no difference in background noise between the unit being turned off (key off, not source turned off) and while playing a song off of an ipod while paused? (i recommend actually trying that first before answering, with the source paused on first, and the motor off) as i said before most people dont even relize that it is there, if they havent came from a better headunit first, that is weird because in the few years that i have been selling/installing the F/X series, i have yet to have one that didn't.