AVIC411.com

Some 920BT Annoyances -- Sirius and Eco Graph

I know this may belong in the Problems/Troubleshooting section, but I'll start here:

1. It's annoying not to have channel names/numbers listed on the Sirius pre-set buttons. This is a fairly basic feature and works on the FM presets...so why not on Sirius? Am I missing something?

2. Why is there only a single line for Sirius song information? In every other Sirius radio I've used, the display shows both Artist and Title. On the 920BT, it looks like I have to manually switch amongst the song info. Blech.

3. The Eco Graph is not working at all for me. I've driven over 50 miles since the system was installed, yet I am getting no information on the Eco Graph. I've double-checked the setting, so I'm not sure what else I'm possibly missing to allow the Eco Graph to function.

And next time when you post, if you know its not the right section, don't post it there.

That's why I said "may", because the post was very much on the boundary of both boards. 66% of my questions were not a specific issue, which is why I started in the General board and left it to your discretion if you wanted to be particular and move it.

Which you did...

Only XM is half-decent with Pioneers. And even that interface is lacking. Sirius support sucks, has always sucked, and probably always will suck with these units. If you are a big time Sirius user you probably bought the wrong head unit, no joke.

The Eco-graph is a waste of time, working or not :) It is a marketing feature that looks good in pictures and not much else.

Basically you just zero'd in on two of the biggest weak spots this unit has. The x920BT is, unofficially, meant to do one thing really well - support iPhone music playback. Followed by supporting iPod/Touch music playback. This, it does extremely well. The interface is slick and easy to navigate (though not without it's own quirks, but you get used to them), the stupid Voice Recognition works better with album/artist lookup than it does for your actual phone contacts (where you really need it to work well), and the built in Pandora support is great, assuming you are using it with an iPhone and have decent reception where you drive. This is why you buy one of these.

If you don't have an iPhone, or a music device made by Apple, then frankly there are better options out there.

the stupid Voice Recognition works better with album/artist lookup than it does for your actual phone contacts (where you really need it to work well)

What problems are you having in this area? I never really had problems here.

"Call so and so"

"What was that?" (in that really annoying computer voice).

Over and over. I tell it a name, last name, first, I usually have to do it twice. I read it a phone number or address and I get a list of 3 things it thinks I said, the middle one usually being correct, but makes me wait for it to finish the whole speech explaining what to do before I can select it.

However, I tell it to "Play album so and so", no matter how bizzare the name, and it always gets it dead on. I don't think it's ever missed an album title. Calling John Smith? Half the time it can't understand me, but if I rattle off a song that isn't even spelled in English it gets it. That's what I mean.

I speak clear, native English with little or no regional accent. I've moved the mic every which way. Doesn't matter. I think it must tag songs and albums differently and one method works better than the other. Come to think of it I would not be surprised to learn the entire iPod-centric part of the interface was designed by a different team at Pioneer that probably isn't even in the same city as the ones who did the Navigation.

Basically you just zero'd in on two of the biggest weak spots this unit has. The x920BT is, unofficially, meant to do one thing really well - support iPhone music playback. Followed by supporting iPod/Touch music playback. This, it does extremely well. The interface is slick and easy to navigate (though not without it's own quirks, but you get used to them), the stupid Voice Recognition works better with album/artist lookup than it does for your actual phone contacts (where you really need it to work well), and the built in Pandora support is great, assuming you are using it with an iPhone and have decent reception where you drive. This is why you buy one of these.

Agreed, and that is the reason I bought this unit. The Pandora support completely sold me, and so far it has met my expectations...glitches and all (well described in a different thread). That and the iPhone integration make very happy with this unit...just too bad the Sirius support is so mediocre.