AVIC411.com

X910BT preamp voltage

I have a noobish question:

I have a 2005 Tundra DC with JBL system. I've ordered the PAC TATO and the PAC steering wheel interface. While I'm waiting for the X910BT to get here, I read some reviews that the TATO requires a minimum 4 volt preamp output from the HU, while the 910 produces only 2 volts. Some have said this makes the stereo unbearably quiet.

Anyone have success combining a 2 volt HU with the PAC TATO?

Also, if it is going to be too quite, is there an option to put in a preamp booster or does this just simply add "noise"?

Thanks for the replies.

i would find it hard to believe that the pac mod would require 4v pre outs since few headunits have them, most modules also have gain adjustments because for it to be a worth while to make the part it should have to be compatible with a wide range of radios and most radios have less than 2v preouts.

i can see where there would be a difference but for a 2v radio to be "unbearably quiet", a 4v radio would probably still be kinda low.

if it does turn out to be an issue, you could always use a line output converter off of the avic's amplified outputs to cut it down to the correct level.

Just as an update...The install went as smoothly as it could. The stereo sounds awesome and works just fine with having only 2V outputs. It becomes too loud at about 3/4 volume, which is comparable to the factory setup. The only thing that may be too quiet are movies...but I don't plan on watching too many of those while driving.

Also, as an aside...I had the VSS wire and reverse wire all planned out, but I removed the factory headunit and found a plug that already contained the VSS wire and reverse wire right behind the factory stereo. I just tied right into these. I assume this is only on the Tundra Limited edition because nav is a factory option on that package.

I used a combo of the Metra dash kit and the factory metal brackets that worked out really nice. I put the gps antenna out of sight between the dash and on top of the instrument panel. Microphone went along the door panel to the visor. If anyone needs help on this particular install, just let me know. Took me about 3-4 hours from start to finish.

One other thing...I flipped all three dip switches on the PAC module to increase the gain to max, and set the Avic headunit on max loudness setting. Also followed the instructions to turn the factory stereo to almost max volume before turning off the car to begin the swap.

How did you know the VSS and rear wires were what they were? I have a TOY Highlander 2006 Limited with factory JBL, but not the factory Nav, so I didn't think those would be there, but maybe they are? That would certainly help me, since I haven't had luck figuring out where those wires are. Thanks.

I didn't "know" they were the correct wires, but there were 2 wires going to a single gray plug right behind the stock stereo, unplugged. I just assumed they were there for the factory nav option. I couldn't think of any other good reason for those particular wires to be there. One wire was red w/ black stripe, the other was green w/ orange stripe. These just happened to be the same colors that other people had posted to be the VSS and reverse wires found elsewhere in the truck (behind the glove box for the VSS, and in the driver's kick panel for the reverse). I tapped into them without removing the plug (in case someone wanted factory nav down the road), and they seem to work just fine.

Thanks, but no such luck for me. Didn't find a loose connector behind my radio in my 2006 TOY Highlander Ltd/JBL. So I'll have to keep trying to find the VSS and reverse wires separately. I wonder how useful is the VSS wire, how much impact it really has on the GPS? Obviously, standalone units dont have a VSS attachment either. Maybe I'll just skip the VSS.

I wonder how useful is the VSS wire, how much impact it really has on the GPS?

it really helps if your in areas that you cant get very good reception (like in a city with a lot of really tall buildings or a lot of tunnels)

My understanding is that when you lose GPS signal in a tunnel or elsewhere, the unit extrapolates your position based on where it got the last signal from the satellite and the vehicle's current speed. Reverse is essentially useless unless you have a backup camera.

My understanding is that when you lose GPS signal in a tunnel or elsewhere, the unit extrapolates your position based on where it got the last signal from the satellite and the vehicle's current speed. Reverse is essentially useless unless you have a backup camera.

thats exactly why VSS really helps if your in areas that you cant get very good reception!