AVIC411.com

How does the X910 recognize media players other than ipods?

tech oriented consumers? I'd love to see an IT department with everyone having iphones.... I can't think of ONE thing an Iphone does that a winmo cannot. Iphone's aren't good devices they just have appeal because people are used to ipods. Apple is a fad and I can see it dropping like a rock if android takes off. Students think Macbooks and iphones are cool just because others have them. Wait until corporations start dumping BB's for winMO and kids start catching onto android and Google chrome OS. The EVO has a 1GHZ processor and 8MP camera, I'd love to see Apple catch up with that.

What MP is the iphone? My touch pro 2 is 3.2MP

The point I'm making here is both RIM and Microsoft are selling less phones and that will continue to happen. Where as Apple is selling quite a bit more every year. At some point, both the other two will fall to the waste side because of this. They may still have their nich markets, but they won't be a contender in units sold. Again, the reason the iPhone is successful is because it appeals to vast array of consumers, both general consumers and tech oriented consumers. The success is determined by units sold. The fact is the iPhone has mass appael and is also a damn good device, comparable in many ways to the others we have discussed. Anyway, we disagree and that's fine. Nice arguing with you again though Boris. :D

Always a pleasure.

I think we're disagreeing on the point that something that has mass appeal must, therefore, be a good thing. I believe it is often (most often, really) not true...

tech oriented consumers? I'd love to see an IT department with everyone having iphones.... I can't think of ONE thing an Iphone does that a winmo cannot. Iphone's aren't good devices they just have appeal because people are used to ipods. Apple is a fad and I can see it dropping like a rock if android takes off. Students think Macbooks and iphones are cool just because others have them. Wait until corporations start dumping BB's for winMO and kids start catching onto android and Google chrome OS. The EVO has a 1GHZ processor and 8MP camera, I'd love to see Apple catch up with that.

What MP is the iphone? My touch pro 2 is 3.2MP

Windows Mobile 6.x is dead, unfortunately. Corporations certainly are not going to dump Blackberries for it. Windows Phone 7 has all the limitations of iPhone (and then some) and none of the good features. iPhones are already making inroads into corporate IT structures. We'll see them and Android there long before WP7 gets anywhere. And probably long after MS drops it...

windows phone 7 isn't the same as kin's OS. the Kin was sorta aimed at iphone kids in an attempt to convert them. From everything I've read the windows phone 7 will have all the features of wm6.5 plus add xbox, zune, facebook and other things all into a easy to use OS. I would be suprised if they drop features. with office webapps, skydrive, and sharepoint well all have access to all of our files. Either with webapps and skydrive hosting personal home documents, music, and pictures or with sharepoint and access to corporate documents and the ability to have multiple users edit a file at a time, cloud based computing could change everything...

I've never understood why corporations use blackberries. I had one once for a month until a new winmo phone came out and it seemed junky. With exchange activesync, corporations can allow employees access to all their email, contacts, calander, notes, tasks, and be able to easily block features (bluetooth, camera, wifi) all while being able to delete all the info from it if it becomes stolen. All without needing an extra blackberry server/software.

The best part with exchange activesync is it syncs text messages. I send/recieve texts in class with my laptop in outlook all while my phone's still in my pocket. It also saves all my messages to the server incase they're needed.

windows phone 7 isn't the same as kin's OS. the Kin was sorta aimed at iphone kids in an attempt to convert them. From everything I've read the windows phone 7 will have all the features of wm6.5 plus add xbox, zune, facebook and other things all into a easy to use OS. I would be suprised if they drop features. with office webapps, skydrive, and sharepoint well all have access to all of our files. Either with webapps and skydrive hosting personal home documents, music, and pictures or with sharepoint and access to corporate documents and the ability to have multiple users edit a file at a time, cloud based computing could change everything...

Then I can only suggest that you read up on WP7. It won't even have multitasking, likely won't have cut and paste, will not be customizable, and will lose all of the good qualities 6.5 had, like sideloading, native coding, access to hardware etc. etc.

BTW, for people who need a good messaging platform, Blackberry with BES is more powerful, manageable and reliable than WinMo with activesync. As a general purpose smartphone WinMo is more flexible.

I think we're disagreeing on the point that something that has mass appeal must, therefore, be a good thing. I believe it is often (most often, really) not true...

Yea I totally agree with that analogy and use it myself to combat the mass opinion the Windows OS must be better then Mac OS simply because Windows has 90% share of the market. Of course in my opinion Windows is garbage and always has been. It certainly better with Win7 but still reeks of garbage as an OS in my opinion. I am certainly not trying to point that the iPhone is the most superior phone simply because it out sales all other phones more every year. The reason I claim the iPhone is the best all around device on the market today is because it marries the perfect balance of features, technology, and elegance. So much so that the average consumer really does care that it doesn't have an 8MP camera or an HDMI output. That is all spec overload and the general consumer market doesn't even understand half of that stuff. That is not what sells a phone to the mass market. Perfect balance of features is what sells and Apple has it coined almost to a damn science. When you look at the iPhone overall in balance, it is the most desirable device right now and certainly appears it will be that way for some time. Clearly it isn't the perfect business device yet. But that is not what is going to sell the device to the masses anyway. The point I am trying to make here is, I don't thing anyone, (well accept for the other clown that continues to way in on this discussion) can deny that phones had really lost innovation, luster, and excitement until the iPhone was released. Clearly RIM and Microsoft have been clamoring to offer alternatives that have all failed to compete with the iPhone. This is towards a consumer market, not the business market. Why? Because they see that an elegant smartphone can appeal to the general consumer market where non of those companies recognized before Apple came along and completely stole that market overnight. They had no real intension to appeal to the consumer market in the smart phone area until Apple came along and proved it could be done and very successfully. Now there trying to take what they should have owned all along and they will fail in the general consumer market. And as you said, eventually in the business market as well. The only real competition to the iPhone going forward in my opinion is the Android devices. These are actually very good phones that capitalize on the success of the iPhone. The one thing that the Android platform has going for it is multiple carrier support. Quite frankly, I don't believe they would even be as successful as there are without multiple carriers. And Google better hope Apple doesn't decide to open the other three carriers anytime soon or it will be considerably harder for Google to gain market share against the iPhone.

Yea I totally agree with that analogy and use it myself to combat the mass opinion the Windows OS must be better then Mac OS simply because Windows has 90% share of the market.....iPhone.

For the mass market, most likely. But then we get to the same Mickey D's analogy... Most popular devices/OS/whatever is not necessarily the best. It's just acceptable enough and simple enough that you can use it without engaging the brain, which is what sells to the majority.

I've worked with both Windows and MacOS enough to know that OS X (let's not even talk about the monstrosity that previous branch of Mac OS was) is not of any better quality than Windows.

iPhone had quite a few innovations at the time (although nothing revolutionary). But they made is to that you can get something done without ever having to think. Plug it into iTunes, your credit card gets charged, and you have 50 different fart apps on the phone. With WinMo you have to actually look for them first :D

Android probably would have made comparable gains, even if it were available only on oner carrier (if we're talking US market only) of a similar size simply by having more/better hardware. Some people do want a real keyboard, or a better camera, or a home screen that actually conveys some useful information.

If Android keeps the momentum, I see them eventually overtaking iPhone by offering something that is both useable in corporate setting and being just as user friendly on the consumer market, while offering better hardware and more features.

Persdonally, I'm still waiting to see what HP does with Palm's WebOS which, technically, is superior to either, but suffers from low-end hardware...

Then I can only suggest that you read up on WP7. It won't even have multitasking, likely won't have cut and paste, will not be customizable, and will lose all of the good qualities 6.5 had, like sideloading, native coding, access to hardware etc. etc.

BTW, for people who need a good messaging platform, Blackberry with BES is more powerful, manageable and reliable than WinMo with activesync. As a general purpose smartphone WinMo is more flexible.

Thats news to me. From what I've been reading off my technet subscription and everything they'll have full exchange support, and basically everything else. It's designed to be full seamless device using silverlight and be able to access anything from the web just like it was on the device. It looks like the only limitation is you'll have to get apps from windows marketplace which is dissapointing. Access to hardware will be able to be blocked by companies, this is very similar to exchange 2010 with wm6.5, I can block my employees bluetooth,wifi,camera,and a few others...they're just adding the ability to block tethering to laptops and removable SD cards. It'll also have 256 SSL, UAG and latest EAS security.

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phon ... iness.aspx

It seems like they're taking a different approach than before, They're not planning on having a PC in your pocket but the ability to access all your information and do everything from your pocket. Imagine having employees going to an offsite sales meeting and being able to present their powerpoint straight from the device. We can do this now but the powerpoint will be on the corporate servers and be able to seamlessly transmit data and info to remote locations.

Thats news to me. From what I've been reading off my technet subscription and everything they'll have full exchange support, and basically everything else. It's designed to be full seamless device using silverlight and be able to access anything from the web just like it was on the device. It looks like the only limitation is you'll have to get apps from windows marketplace which is dissapointing. Access to hardware will be able to be blocked by companies, this is very similar to exchange 2010 with wm6.5, I can block my employees bluetooth,wifi,camera,and a few others...they're just adding the ability to block tethering to laptops and removable SD cards. It'll also have 256 SSL, UAG and latest EAS security.

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phon ... iness.aspx

It seems like they're taking a different approach than before, They're not planning on having a PC in your pocket but the ability to access all your information and do everything from your pocket. Imagine having employees going to an offsite sales meeting and being able to present their powerpoint straight from the device. We can do this now but the powerpoint will be on the corporate servers and be able to seamlessly transmit data and info to remote locations.

Read something other than marketing blogs :)

There is decent Exchange support.

There is no:

1. Native programming. Only a very limited .Net environment with no access to hardware. Third-party programs won't even have access to calendar or contact data. FAIL.

2. No removable memory. FAIL

3. Only two screen resolutions. FAIL

4. No navigation buttons. Cursor buttons are allowed on slide-out keyboard, but can not be used for navigation. FAIL

6. No native database engine on the device, you're supposed to use the cloud. FAIL

7. Applications are completely sandboxed and can not even exchange files. FAIL

8. UI can not be changed or even customized. FAIL

I could go on for another few dozen points, but suffice to say that this is a product that comes from the same people who could not move WinMo6 when it was a superior platform, and who thought that Kin is a good idea.

wow that sounds exactly like the iphone. minus exchange support

no removable memory??? are you certain? I thought SD cards can be blocked if wanted to with exchange.

I think windows is going ultra secure by limiting calendar and contacts which is a good move.

UI is blocked becuase they don't want HTC or others to put their bloatware and dedicate ram to their UI's built ontop of windows.

There aren't many resolutions and i doubt they'll have any better resolutions in the future, we don't need 1080p on our phone.

so applications won't have access to files on the phone? I guess i'm not understanding how they can't exchange files.

I'm assuming navigation buttons aren't necessary. I don't have any on the front and don't use my keyboard one.

It seems like they're fixing the faults from iphone and potential security faults. The only thing that bugs me is removable memory but I seriously doubt they'll block it.

its hard to move a piece of software when people mainly care about the hardware and coolness level

wow that sounds exactly like the iphone. minus exchange support

no removable memory??? are you certain? I thought SD cards can be blocked if wanted to with exchange.

I think windows is going ultra secure by limiting calendar and contacts which is a good move.

UI is blocked becuase they don't want HTC or others to put their bloatware and dedicate ram to their UI's built ontop of windows.

There aren't many resolutions and i doubt they'll have any better resolutions in the future, we don't need 1080p on our phone.

so applications won't have access to files on the phone? I guess i'm not understanding how they can't exchange files.

I'm assuming navigation buttons aren't necessary. I don't have any on the front and don't use my keyboard one.

It seems like they're fixing the faults from iphone and potential security faults. The only thing that bugs me is removable memory but I seriously doubt they'll block it.

its hard to move a piece of software when people mainly care about the hardware and coolness level

Last I read development documentation, removable memory was not supported...

I can understand them not wanting manufacturers putting custom UIs on devices out of the box, but as an owner I should be able to put something more informative and less ugly than the default Metro UI (hell, even Sense shows more info at a glance than WP7's screen). Playing with the WP7 unlocked image emulator, it takes 5 minutes to get information I can see at one glance on my Touch Pro2 with SPB Pocket+ and SPB Diary.

Even iPhone 4 has resolution 4 times as high as a maximum resolution allowed on WP7, and there are, supposedly, phones coming out with 1024*768 Mirasol displays. It should be up to the manufacturer and user (if they want to pay for it) to decide if they want to have it.

Having real navigation buttons is very convenient when you want to read news on a bus, since you don't need to hold the phone in one hand and try to swipe/scroll/click with another. Again, there's nothing wrong with there being keyboardless phones, but it should be up to the user to select a form factor that works for them. At least on my TP2 I can remap buttons it does have to do vertical scroll and select to make my life easier.

Every third-party application will be installed in a sandbox and able to access files only in its own directory. Meaning, you can't even use a third-party picture viewer to see images you got in email.

Having full access to calendar and contacts did not lead to any data breaches in WinMo6. But not having them on WP7 means that if, say, somebody even bothers to port a navigation program to it (very unlikely anyway...) you won't be able to tell it to go to one of your contacts. Type the address yourself. Phone will integrate with Crapbook, since Microsoft has marketing deal with them, but no third party will be able to write, let's say, LinkedIN app that can sync with your contacts. Etc., Etc.

It's not that they are fixing iPhone's problems. More like taking the first generation iPhone, and porting all of its restrictions (no cut and paste? in 2010? really?) to a new platform. After all, it did work for Apple...

I completely agree. I don't think I could live without my keyboard on my tp2. I really hope these "features" like locking down contacts and removable SD cards are options or something which would make sense. I do really like the new UI and think it'll make everything nicer and flow better, but hope it wont take 10 buttons to answer the phone or see the text.

FYI LinkedIN and facebook are soon to be available within outlook with their social connector and might make it into WP7.

I can see some corporate heads weary of apps that mess with their employees contacts, the last thing they want is someone able to steal all their clients names and numbers. I co-own a landscaping corporation and block the ability to print contacts and estimates. If an employee stole my contacts they could sell it for $$$$ to a competitor.

either way I think these "features" need to be options or they'll have a lot of angry current customers willing to move to android.

I completely agree. I don't think I could live without my keyboard on my tp2. I really hope these "features" like locking down contacts and removable SD cards are options or something which would make sense. I do really like the new UI and think it'll make everything nicer and flow better, but hope it wont take 10 buttons to answer the phone or see the text.

FYI LinkedIN and facebook are soon to be available within outlook with their social connector and might make it into WP7.

I can see some corporate heads weary of apps that mess with their employees contacts, the last thing they want is someone able to steal all their clients names and numbers. I co-own a landscaping corporation and block the ability to print contacts and estimates. If an employee stole my contacts they could sell it for $$$$ to a competitor.

either way I think these "features" need to be options or they'll have a lot of angry current customers willing to move to android.

Currently, they are not options. They are just not available.

Outlook might have social connectors, but the phone does not sync to Outlook when you are outside. It either syncs to Exchange, or Live. So the only way WP7 would integrate any social network with contacts (which can be stolen by anyone who really wants to do it anyway, if they have any form of access to them) is if Microsoft themselves write the connector and push the update to the phone...

All in all, WP7 is more locked down than an iPhone.