AVIC411.com

What additional accesories should I get?

Hey guys & gals,

After doing a bunch of reading and playing with it in the store I've opted to get a Z110BT, which I will probably upgrade with the software that recently came out. I've order the AVIC and it's on the way. What I'm curious about is what else I should get?

1) I currently have an Audio-In 3.5mm jack that I use to plug in an ancient 15gb iPod. I have no controls on my current stereo for it so use the device to select songs, etc. Since it's so old, I'm "ok" with that and would like to still be able to at least do that. I'm considering getting a newer iPod this fall/winter so would like to be able to control that through the Z110 when I get it. Do I need to buy another cable to do this or does the Z110BT come with one? Is it possible to have an Audio In *AND* an Ipod controller? What about USB? (Sorry, just trying to figure out how this all works :wink: )

2) I have read that I need a PAC SWI-PS 1.68 to keep my steering wheel controls (I have an '05 Scion tC). However, when I'm looking online (Amazon, Crutchfield, etc) I can't find revision numbers anywhere. Is it safe to say these are all 1.68 by now?

3) Thinking of getting the HD tuner. I've read mixed things about these. Some people saying that when the signal fades, the radio just gets choppy and cuts out. Others saying that it reverts back to normal FM station if it loses the HD. Can anyone clarify for me please?

4) MSN Direct. I know I've only got about 1 1/2 years to go on this. Not sure if I need it or not but wondered if any of you could weigh in on the cost vs actual usage. I've never had a Nav system before and just thinking should I spend the cash for this or skip it cause it's something that no one ever uses and put the money towards my installation?

Sorry for so many questions but thanks in advance for any help!

HI,

I got my z110 in May and I LOVE IT!!! Definitely get the steering wheel controls and if you want XM tuner or MSN (personally I think MSN is a waste at this point)...I opted not to do either because I only use the Ipod, however I have considered adding an HD tuner (no monthly subscription). I used a shop to install it because it is more advanced than I am to do the work myself. Also you can tell the steering wheel controls what you want each button to do. It is really nice. I would def. get the IPOD cable if it is not supplied with it. And then get a new Nano or something cause you can load videos on it and watch them on the Head Unit.

1. You will need the CDIU50V to control an ipod from the screen. If your ipod really is ancient, it likely will not work with it, but you may as well install it now to save time/money on labor to install it later when you get a new one. You can still use your current ipod the way you are now...through the audio-in jack

2. Best to call and find out

3. It will handle your HD and non-HD radio. The interface isn't that great though. Not sure it is worth it unless you live in an area with lots of HD Radio stations

4. It will cost you $100+ for the tuner itself and it will become garbage when they turn the system off. Up to you if you want traffic, movie times, weather, etc for that price

The HD tuner works pretty good if you live in an area that has a lot stations broadcasting HD. Mostly all HD stations have sub channels that offer more programming. Sound quality is very nice, it cleans up all the static completely.

Thanks for the awesome replies!

I've called on the SWI-PS and found the 1.68 for about half of what Crutchfield is selling it for. I'm going to order that and the CDIU50V (thx @cameltowing) today. I'm in Akron and get all Cleveland, OH broadcasts and I think about 90% of all our channels have HD now. Maybe Clear Channel is good for something after all :lol:

However, if I'm driving south too far(doesn't happen on the regular) I'll drop out of this range. On standard FM it will still play the signal but you know, it just gets fuzzy and filled with static til it's lost.. With the HD will I be listening to choppy broken radio or will it sort of just switch back over to standard FM fuzziness once the HD signal gets too weak?

sorry not sure if that question makes sense. I can try to rephrase if no one knows what the heck I'm talkin' about.

As was stated - I'd stay clear of the MSNBC module - it's really useless...

For Sat radio, the XM module is possibly better than the Sirrius because it shows stations and album art (presets etc).

From what I've read, HD has the same problem - no station info on presets...

I would add the PAC WRI and Pioneer steering remote is actually useful.