AVIC411.com

Boyo VTL375 Installed today

Just thought I'd pass along a few items related to the install I did today.

Background: I installed a Z110BT about 7 months ago in a 2009 Honda Civic. I didn't buy a backup camera at the time because I couldn't decided if I wanted to spend over 200.00 on something that might turn out to be a novelty. However I have discovered with this car that it's difficult for me to judge the distance behind me so a couple of weeks ago I started looking into them.

I found the little 1" (or so) square ones but couldn't figure out where I'd put it where it might blend in. Looked to me like it would be a 'wart' on the trunk near the license plate. Then I found the Boyo license plate cameras. (Thanks to a tip from someone on this site) I found the VTL375 would match my car (black), was all metal and would tilt. It was CCD and had pretty good reviews at different sites. I searched for an outlet near me that carried them and found that Al and Ed's carried them so I went to their site. $235.00 - wow! Then I clicked on their "price match" and it came up with Crutchfield at $199.00 so they'd match that price. I looked on e-bay and Amazon and found it for $135.00 from a vendor called Audiosavings - new in the box; so I ordered it.

Just installed it, which meant I had to tear apart the dash again (glad I saved the 'how to' .pdf) and wired up the camera leads for power and ground by tapping into the ACC wire and a ground wire. Then I headed to the trunk and found that the license place was intended to be through bolted into the trunk. I decided to bite the bullet and simply drilled out the threads on the license plate mounting nuts so the bolts would slide through.

Without drilling pretty large holes (for access to the nuts) I decided not to drill for the lower holes. I had some rubber feet about 3/8" in diameter in my parts box. Don't know what they came off of but they were the type designed to fit (like a grommet) into a hole that happened to be just the diameter of the license plate mounting holes; so those got pushed and turned into the lower license plate holes as bumpers.

The Boyo kit comes with a couple of grommets already on the lead from the license plate holder so I measured and found that a hole, slightly larger than 3/8" would allow me to pass the connecting wire through the hole and seal it with the grommet. Drilled up next to the trunk lights (the ones that light up the license plate). Worked out perfect.

I connected everything up and fired up the car. Break on I tested the camera by putting the car in reverse. Hey! It worked ! Hid the camera wire under the plastic on the drivers side, zip tied the routing in the trunk and under the dash and reinstalled the dash. (damn that's a tight fit, and those bottom screws are REAL BUGGERS to get in!)

Seems to work good in the daylight. I'll see what it looks like tonight when it's dark.

It's got the "Caution, image appear reversed" on the screen but it's just like looking in the rear view mirror. Stuff on your left is on the left of the screen, so I'm guessing all is good.

One thing though...

I read here that you could, in fact, watch the rear camera view when driving. I can't figure that one out. It's not in the AV settings (no choice for it when setting up [say] AV2).

Can anyone walk me through selecting the rear camera while in drive?

Also, in the rear camera settings it gives a choice of On/Off (obvious) and another for Battery/Ground. It's on battery now and works fine. Anyone know what happens if you select Ground? Little nervous about doing that in case it might blow up or something .

I read here that you could, in fact, watch the rear camera view when driving. I can't figure that one out. Can anyone walk me through selecting the rear camera while in drive?

Its in the map view settings.

Anyone know what happens if you select Ground? Little nervous about doing that in case it might blow up or something.

Dont do it.

Thanks for the info.

Got the chance to see it in action last night when my wife and I visited my niece for dinner. Apartment row and the parking was descent when I got there, but when we were leaving I found I was totally wedged in. (person in front left about 1 foot to move forward and I only had about 18" behind me)

Using the cam (which I still have to get used to) and her guiding me forward I did the "unwedge" and made it out.

The picture was pretty darn good. Bright enough to see all I needed to, and after a few "back and forths" to unwedge my car I could start to tell how much room I had behind me.

Upside: I could see my bumper and the front if the car behind me very well. Just had to trust the view a little more. Heck, with the slight "fish eye" look it appeared that the grill was protruding and would hit me before my bumper hit them. Not true, but it looked that way.

Downside: No foot markers displayed. Not that they would have helped at that distance (inch markers?) but having a gauge of some kind might have been nice.

All in all I'm pleased.

And no, I won't change the battery/ground settings. Don't know why you shouldn't, but I'll avoid that one.

And I won't be driving down the road looking at my rear view cam. That would be illegal wouldn't it....??...

And no, I won't change the battery/ground settings. Don't know why you shouldn't, but I'll avoid that one.

It will give you a rear view image constantly. You can put your car in reverse to be able to see the main screen. The only problem is that some people have changed this setting and couldn't get it to display the main screen ever again without having to completely reset their unit. Don't do it.

• 6 months later...

Anyone know how to reverse the image on the cam so that is flipped. How do u flip it ? Everything looks backwards or anatomically correct llz.....

It is supposed to be a mirror image, like you were looking in your rear-view mirrors. Are you saying it isn't or it is?

it isnt a mirrored image it shows up opposite of what the rear mirror image looks like...........the install peeps are lookin into it too.....supposidly anyway. Thnx for all your help!!

What camera make/model did they install? I used to work for a company long ago that made rear view camera/monitors for RVs (way back when that was a novelty). I think the reversed image was done in the camera, not in the video monitor. So standard video cameras might fit and work, but not produce the same image. Just a guess.

What camera make/model did they install? I used to work for a company long ago that made rear view camera/monitors for RVs (way back when that was a novelty). I think the reversed image was done in the camera, not in the video monitor. So standard video cameras might fit and work, but not produce the same image. Just a guess.

They installed the Boyo vtl375 camera....and the image is backwards.....hope the install peeps figure it out.

They installed the Boyo vtl375 camera....and the image is backwards.....hope the install peeps figure it out.

I just checked out the installation manual, which is very skimpy on technical detail. Boyo vtl375 Manual

There appears to be two video outputs in the connector. In the manual, one is labeled Video, the other is Mirror. So maybe the installers got them switched somehow. Like I said, the manual doesn't say much on the actual hook-up. It is mainly on how to mount the unit.