AVIC411.com

NEWBIE: Pioneer AVIC-X920BT vs AVH-P3200BT

I am looking at purchasing my first after-market stereo of any kind. I have narrowed down to AVIC-X920BT and AVH-P3200BT. Keeping the price aside, which one would you recommend?

Following are the things that I care about the most....

• - Good voice-quality for phone calls over Bluetooth
    - Good support for rear-view camera (video must appear quickly without requiring me to power-on/control the unit)
    - Support for playing music via a USB stick
    - Ease of use
    - Boot up time
    - iPhone integration (ability to play music, and maybe videos from the iPhone)
    - Built-in Navigation is a useful add-on. But, unless the interface & features are comparable to a Garmin GPS, I don't really require built-in navigation
    - Support for potentially adding video-monitors to the back seats, in future (not sure if either of them supports this?)

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Both units do almost everything on your list but in my opinion it comes down to the last two. I'm happy with the navi on my Pioneer, but it sounds like you've already made up your mind on this one. The X920 does not support dual zone like the 3200BT does. You can add a rear monitor to both but with the 3200BT you can have two different sources palying at the same time. Given that you have an iPhone though, you can take advantage of Pandora and Youtube playback on the X920.

Thanks for your response....it's much appreciated.

- Is it fair to say that built-in Navigation and support for Pandora/YouTube are the only major upgrades in the AVIC-X920BT?

- Any comments on how the navigation interface & features compare to a garmin or a tom-tom GPS?

- Any comments on how the navigation interface & features compare to a garmin or a tom-tom GPS?

Yes, you will be disappointed if you're comparing any of the Pioneers to a Garmin, Garmin is #1 for a reason, they go all out in the their OS and design.

Are these units a decent GPS? yes, are they on par with the best of the best? nope.

Yes, you will be disappointed if you're comparing any of the Pioneers to a Garmin, Garmin is #1 for a reason, they go all out in the their OS and design.

Are these units a decent GPS? yes, are they on par with the best of the best? nope.

Garmins are mostly number one for being the most dumbed-down navi system (and they don't make an OS either). Navigation in AVIC is far superior. The rest of it though is very badly integrated.

The navi in the Pioneer is a joke compared to any Garmin device. I think Boris is speaking of his experience with the previous X and F series which ironically uses superior navi software then the currant X and Z series units. The current navi in the X and Z series units is produced in-house at Pioneer and lacks some major features found on most portable navis such as Garmin. It will certainly get you where you want to go and never steered me wrong when I had my Z unit but it is no contest to the Garmin unit I have now.

The navi in the Pioneer is a joke compared to any Garmin device. I think Boris is speaking of his experience with the previous X and F series which ironically uses superior navi software then the currant X and Z series units. The current navi in the X and Z series units is produced in-house at Pioneer and lacks some major features found on most portable navis such as Garmin. It will certainly get you where you want to go and never steered me wrong when I had my Z unit but it is no contest to the Garmin unit I have now.

You're right. X920 uses a non-name navigation software, unlike older X, and F series which used world-class iGo.