AVIC411.com

backup camera not working

I've done some searches for backup camera issues but not really finding any results to match my situation. I plan to troubleshoot/research (when I can open up my dashboard again) but I wanted to lay the information out just case someone else has seen the issue.

Z120BT connected using the Pioneer ND-BC4. I am running the bypass mod so my Parking Brake wire is grounded (along with the mute wire). BTW the bypass works great.

Going into the reverse doesn't engage the camera at all. I've seen the camera work once. Right after the install, I tried to get it to work and it didn't. I changed up the polarity (I can't remember from what to what). But after that and turning everything off and then back on... the unit came up directly to the camera. I couldn't get out of it. Nothing responded so I turned the car off and disconnected the battery to reset the unit.

I'm going to triple check on my connections. I wasn't sure if the parking brake being grounded makes the unit think it's constantly PARKED therefore no camera? If so and I have to properly connect the parking wire does that mean bye bye bypass?

The bypass will not effect it....

Sounds like you have a bad/wrong reverse wire connection...

Since you can reverse the polarity, and it works, and putting the car into reverse doesn't do anything...... I could only assume that your reverse wire isn't hooked up to the correct wire.... Or perhaps the reverse wire has pulled loose in the Pioneer harness/connector...

Thanks everyone. I reconnected the wire to try and secure a better connection. Now when I go into reverse, the screen goes blank and gives me the message along the lines of... "images may appear reversed". So my guess it the reverse is setup correctly but maybe when cramming that h/u into the hole I got the brown video cable disconnected.

Unless someone else has a suggestion to mess around with AV settings then I will have to crack that dashboard again and see how the connections are.

Thanks again everyone.

Well that kind of sucks. I pull the dash and pulled the unit. Checked that the rear was connected to the brown RCA jack (I'm assuming that's the right jack). Traced back the other wires (to power unit) and made sure the power was hooked up. Nothing in the back of the unit seems off. My only other thought is the power is not connected. But would it go into the blank screen and show "images might be reversed" if it wasn't getting power? It only shows a blank screen right now when going into reverse.

I also tried playing around with the AV stuff but didn't really notice anything out of the ordninary. I saw AV1 and AV2... should there be an AV for the backup camera?

Thanks again guys.

But would it go into the blank screen and show "images might be reversed" if it wasn't getting power? It only shows a blank screen right now when going into reverse.

Yes..... You have a power or ground issue somewhere.

Yes I did... thanks vblue and dawgbone. Looks like it was a combination of things. Since I had the whole thing apart I went ahead and redid all the wires for power and voila. Backup camera works. Hoping for an easier fix but oh well... that's why I'm not a professional installer.

Camera works great btw... it's pretty dark outside and I can see very clearly.

Thanks again guys.