AVIC411.com

Trouble Shooting New 110BT Installation

I have recently completed the installation of an AVIC-Z110BT in a 2003 Porsche Boxster. The installation includes the “Hack”. I have the moved mute wire one hole to the left tying it and the parking brake wire together and tied them both to the original radio ground wire. I have the VSS and backup wires hooked up to the Z110BT. The system operates, navigating and playing music.

The problem is that the car doesn’t track down the road accurately, the road being laterally displaced 200-250 yards to the side if the car is on a cardinal heading, i.e., north, east south, west; 0-50 yards if the car is 45 degrees to a cardinal heading, i.e., north-east, south east, south west, north west.

I called Pioneer and got a hold of a surly tech who told me I had a problem with the VSS signal and didn’t want to hear anything else I had to offer. Oh, and he suggested that I reset the 3D Calibration Status screen values to "0".

Here’s what the system is indicating:

“GPS Status Screen” (page 92)

1. Speed Pulse: value flicks between 0 and 1 (car static), first bar in signal strength flicks between no bar and one bar illuminated; value increases to an observed 16-18 (car moving up to about 50 mph), signal strength bars illuminated to nearly ¾ total travel to the right, seemingly proportional to the digital value.

2. GPS ANT: 9 orange and 2 yellow satellites; signal strength, 3 bars.

3. Parking Brake: ON (with or without parking brake set)

4. Power Voltage: 12.4 volts (if I remember correctly)

5. Illumination: Follows headlight switch. (and dims display when head lights are turned ON)

6. Back Signal: On “low” until reverse gear is selected; then shifts to “high” before back up screen is displayed. SHOULD THE SIGNAL BE “OFF” WITH THE TRANSMISSION IN NEUTRAL OR A FORWARD GEAR?

“3D Calibration Status” (page 93)

1. Speed: With car static value flicks between 0 and 1 mph; with car moving indicates speedometer speed to within 2-3 mph.

2. Acceleration or Deceleration: Not noted while driving

3. Distance: 0.0 (after driving 50-60 miles)

4. Speed Pulse: (after driving 50-60 miles) 485,000+. Counts up in concert with the Speed flicking between 0-1 mph.

5. Learning Status: Remains at Sensor Initializing regardless of car use.

6. Inclination: Not noted while driving.

7. Degree of Learning: (after driving 50-60 miles) Distance – about half way across the display; Right Turn / Left Turn – no movement; 3D Detection – about one fourth way across the display.

This is my second AVIC installation....a Z3 the first time posed no problems (in a different car).

Bill

Thanks for the responces. I'll do as suggested....lack of patience not with standing.

I am still a little concerned that the system might be "seeing" the transmission in reverse all of the time.

Page 92: "Back Signal - When the gear lever is shifted to "R", the signal switches to [High] or [Low]. (One of these is displayed depending on the vehicle.)"

The display on my system shows "low" all of the time - until I shift into reverse. Then it shows "high" momentarily until the back up screen comes on. I recognize that the back up screen only comes on when I actually shift the transmission to reverse, indicating that the system knows when I'm in reverse. But, the manual doesn't give any indication of what the display should show before shifting into reverse.

This, in concert with the fact that the distance driven display on the "3D Calibration Status" screen alwaysshows "0.0", leads me to be concerned that the system is being confused by the GPS showing movement forward and the reverse input showing an opposite movement.

Perhaps, if a board member with a properly calibrated system could check his "GPS Status" screen and let me know what the "Back Signal" display shows when his car is in nuetral or a forward gear, I could put this concern to rest.

Thanks again.....I hate to be a worry wart.....but, I'm an analog man trying to get along in this digital world.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

I am not 100% sure on this unit, but typically "high" and "low" indicators are either an "on" or "off" condition respectively. For instance, to a computer "0" is an "off" or "low" position, and a "1" is an "on" or "high" position.

So when you shift into reverse, your back signal is "high" or in an on position. And when it is in any other gear, it is "low" or in an off position.

I am just using simple logic, so I hope this helps you. And and I am making some assumptions this hold true for the unit.

• 3 months later...

After having reset the unit and driving it around again, Pioneer had me send the unit in for warrantee service. Pioneer kept the unit for five (!) weeks before returning it to me. The return paperwork indicated that no components had been changed and that some section of the unit had been cleaned. After re-installing the unit, I found that it performs wonderfully. Having changed nothing with my installation and finding that nothing had been done by Pioneer, I can only assume that FedEx must have dropped the unit in a salutary manner somewhere in route. :mrgreen:

I do have one problem that I didn't have previously and that is that I get a warning that the system has determined that there is a problem with the parking brake signal every time I start the unit....sometimes with and sometimes without the parking brake applied. Just to review, I have wired the unit with the "hack". Is there a thread I have missed that addresses this anomaly?

Bill