AVIC411.com

Noisy X910BT in Nissan Altima

Hi !

I installed my new Pioneer X910BT last week in my 2003 Altima 3.5SE with BOSE and I'm a bit upset. I worked many hours to find the problem with no solution. I get some static noise when my gauge backlights are on. It's not THAT loud... but just enough to bother me. And the backlight is on all the time in theses cars. The only way to stop the noise is turn on the light, and then shut down the light dimmer (or to let car in ACC position..). In those cases, the backlight are off. And when I move the dimmer know, there's some variations in the noise (like a flanging effect). I have many wires for ground (X910BT, amp ground, harness radio ground, PAC SWI-PS ground, steering control ground...) and I tried some combination (disconnect some, disconnect all, etc...) with no success.

I also tried to ground the RCA (I red some stories about pico fuses)... same buzz. I also tried to disconnect the illumination wire of the radio harness... same thing again.

From what I understand, it looks like my cluster illumination (or maybe the A/C illumination since I think there's LED in there and they *may* be controlled by a PWM chip) is making some digital noise.

The noise is a B (almost 2 octave above the middle C of a piano) and it's a square-wave. It's not loud (if the engine and the A/C is running, and the volume is enough loud you can't hear it). But it's disturbing if the level is lower and the A/C is not running (and unpleasant if the engine is off)

I honestly don't know what to try anymore. I didn't buy the X910BT locally so exchanging is not a solution (unless if I find that it's REALLY defect and require a not-cheap fix).

Any idea ?

Thank you !

William

Thanks for your reply.

I don't quite understand why using the RCA harness could stop that noise. I should mention that I'm using the stock BOSE amp that came with the car and the inputs are line level. So what did you mean exactly ?

Thank you !

William

William,

Not sure if this will help, but it's something to munch on: when I had a car with a Bose sound system, I discovered the line impedance was 2 ohms. Unfortunately, most non-Bose sound systems work on 4-8 ohm line impedance. There are line adpaters that allow you to match the two impedances. Could this be causing you issues? Oh, and the Bose sound system I had happened to be in a Nissan, as well - 1992 300ZX Twin Turbo! :-)

Like I said, I'm not sure if this will help...

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Some Nissans dont have ground in the factory harness. If it doesnt it will pull ground from the RCA connection possible causing noise and eventually damaging the outputs on the radio!!!!! I know that all of the metra plugs for Nissan have a ground wire in them but you have to plug it in to the factory harness and see if the factory harness has it. I have seen this serveral times. The radio can also pull ground from the antenna connection. Nissan factory radios get ground when you screw the radio into the dash board.