AVIC411.com

Installing F700BT on a VW

I've searched and I haven't seen anything that can help me so here it goes.

I have a Pioneer AVIC F700BT that I pulled from my previous car but I can't figure out what wiring to get for the life of me.

I'm going to get the American International dash kit but other than that I am completely and utterly lost on what I need. I have no steering wheel controls so I don't think I would need Connects2 and I have heard from a few people that it dies fairly quickly. The PAC supposedly doesn't fit very well in the dash and behind the headunit (true or false?) and the Metra kit doesn't "...supply ignition or illumination.."

So... what should I get? Here is a website that lists the various stuff I would need, http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/s ... IT_06.html

Also since I pulled the headunit from my previous car will I have any issues of it being locked when I turn it on again?

Oooor should I just say fk it to this 700BT and get a newer model installed?

I have a Pioneer AVIC F700BT that I pulled from my previous car but I can't figure out what wiring to get for the life of me.

well im assuming that you have a VW rabbit 06-08 (since that is what it says in the link you provided)

you will need a dash kit (sounds like you already have one picked out)

an antenna adapter (unless you pulled your radio out of a similar year german car) 40-EU55 has the amp built in

and a wire harness, Metra 70-9003 will not have a working ACC wire so you will have to run your own (which is not too hard if you know what your doing, and have a muiltimeter) or you can order the C2R-VW ($80 ouch) which has the module to use the vehicles data bus to switch the radio on and off, not too mention that it has the reverse wire, VSS... which makes the install easier

Also since I pulled the headunit from my previous car will I have any issues of it being locked when I turn it on again?

only if you turned on the password, in which case you would know it (at least i would hope so)

Oooor should I just say fk it to this 700BT and get a newer model installed?
you will still need to buy all the parts that make it work.

Thank you so very much for replying.

Yes I have a 2008 VW Rabbit, sorry I didn't mention it, and the car I pulled it from was a Scion xD.

Which wire do you tap in to to allow watching of movies and navigation? I installed mine almost two years ago so my memory is fuzzy, plus I had someone do for me while I watched and helped how I could.

I think I may get the $80 mainly for the ease of installing it. Or would it be easier and possibly work longer if I got the kit where I would need to run another wire?

[edit]

What would the advantages be of having the VSS and reverse wires?

Which wire do you tap in to to allow watching of movies and navigation? I installed mine almost two years ago so my memory is fuzzy, plus I had someone do for me while I watched and helped how I could.

with a f700, you need to move the mute wire over to a different pin, ground the mute wire, and then ground the parking brake wire to bypass the unit (it should already be done since it was in another car, but there are threads with pictures in the hacks section of this forum if you need them )

I think I may get the $80 mainly for the ease of installing it. Or would it be easier and possibly work longer if I got the kit where I would need to run another wire?

yes its much easier to install, but running a ACC wire, although more difficult to do, would be more reliable (some cars just seem to have a lot of issues with the modules like GM's and some Chrysler's)

What would the advantages be of having the VSS and reverse wires?
well the VSS wire helps the unit be more accurate especially when GPS signal it hard to get (tunnels...) BUT the f700 doesn't have this wire (only the F900/F90 does) and reverse will tell the unit when you are backing up so that it can turn on the backup camera (if installed)