AVIC411.com

ground loop isolators

I have an 04 F150 crew cab and when I installed my AVIC-D2 I picked up an alternator whine under heavy acceleration. I have rerun my RCA's and it is still there. The power lead to my amp runs down the opposite side of the truck as the RCA's do and I am running the RCA's away from the primary wire loom for the truck that runs down the driver's side. My main question is this: will the RCA ground loop isolators work if I put them on the deck end of the cables (a 5 minute job), or do I need to put them on the amp end of the cables (an hour job)? Any help would be appreciated and if you need anymore info just let me know. Thanks - Erik

Why so long? Ground loop isolators just plug in in-line with the rcas. Previous experience, I'd say try at the deck first, if that don't work, then try at the amp. By the way you have made sure the ground is nice and solid and there's no corrosion on the battery terminals right?

those are just a band aid to the problem. I am sure with some investigation you can find the proper fix... make sure ground is good, rca's are not cut or cheap, deck is grounded properly, and make sure your not using a cheap amp that has poor components which can cause the noise too.

The deck is grounded to the stock wiring harness, the rca's are rockford fosgate, not monster cable by any means, but also not $2.99 wal-mart cables, the amp is an Infinity 5761 6 channel with 4 gauge power and ground with 12 gauge speaker wire. I will try another run path for the rca's, but is there anything else that I may be missing? Hopefully the isolators may get me until spring when I can pull it all apart agina when it's not 20 degrees and snowing out. Thanks - Erik

Try grounding the deck straight to a piece of metal in the car.

BTW, where are you lucky enough to live where its 20 degrees and snowing? I wish it was snowing here in NY, instead its 50 degrees out. I guess I'm just weird and love snow since everyone I talk to is happy about the weather except me... :o

uhh, the 12 gauge is your problem, YOU DONT USE DIFFERENT sized wire for ground and power if that is what you meant when you said it. Otherwise, make sure your ground is good and probably want to run a new ground for everything you put in... a single ground is best.

the amp has 4 gauge power and ground and is grounded about 14 inches from the amp behind my backseat. The speakers leads are 12 gauge. All of my components except the amp are grounded to the same location - stock harness. I will try grounding them to a new spot not on the harness and if that doesn't work I will try another path for the rca's. thanks for the help - erik