AVIC411.com

Pioneer Avic D3 to Pioneer AVIC-X920BT

• 1 month later...
I have the Pioneer Avic D3 installed in my vehicle and I am intrested in purchasing the Pioneer AVIC-X920BT. Am I able to just unplug the connections on the Avic D3 and just plug into the new unit? Or are there different wires that need to be ran?

Thanks.

I just put mine in on Saturday...the (black) harness hooked right in...The speaker(white) harness did not...but that harness took two seconds...but basically it was a direct swap...took me 25 min..

Did you have to crimp or splice anything, or did you just pull out wires and put them back in the right place(s) in the new harness?

Are all the colors the same?

Also, people on here have said the XM antenna isn't the same (sounds weird to me)....did the old one fit?

Also, what else was different in the install overall?

Did you have to crimp or splice anything, or did you just pull out wires and put them back in the right place(s) in the new harness?

Also, people on here have said the XM antenna isn't the same (sounds weird to me)....did the old one fit?

I didn't crimp anything on the main harness plug...I just pulled it from the D3 in put it into my X920BT...All the colors are the same...Only thing that was different was the harness plug for the RCA's....but even the wires on that harness were the same...just the plug was different...One that harness I had to ground the yellow wire i think...that was it...

you will need to separate the D3 harness from the aftermarket harness you have right now, then you will need to attach the X920's harness to the aftermarket wire harness, either using crimp caps or by soldering the wires together, yes all of the colors are the same.

the XM antenna shouldn't make a difference, but depending on what model tuner you have, you might have to change that to the newer one, you will need to find out what the model number is for the XM tuner is and check it on pioneers web site to see if its compatible or not

you will also have to run the cable for the mic (even if you had the D3 bluetooth, you will have to remove that module, since its built in to the new HU)

and nothing else it different about the install, take out the old parts and put in the new parts

you will need to separate the D3 harness from the aftermarket harness you have right now, then you will need to attach the X920's harness to the aftermarket wire harness, either using crimp caps or by soldering the wires together, yes all of the colors are the same.

the XM antenna shouldn't make a difference, but depending on what model tuner you have, you might have to change that to the newer one, you will need to find out what the model number is for the XM tuner is and check it on pioneers web site to see if its compatible or not

you will also have to run the cable for the mic (even if you had the D3 bluetooth, you will have to remove that module, since its built in to the new HU)

and nothing else it different about the install, take out the old parts and put in the new parts

I didn't have to do it...the harness from the D3 is the same as X920BT...just pulled it out of the D3 and put it into my X920bt...even the bypass was the same...Plug n Play

the (black) harness hooked right in...The speaker(white) harness did not...

the speaker harness is the black harness, the white harness is the RCA harness

just pulled it out of the D3 and put it into my X920bt...even the bypass was the same

how is the bypass exactly the same if the plug isn't?

the main harness may be the same style plug plug, pioneer changed most of their harnesses for the 2009 models, but it doesn't look like they changed the main harness for the nav systems so you probably dont need to rewire the main harness

One that harness I had to ground the yellow wire i think...that was it...

its the yellow/black "mute" wire, the pin has to be moved over one spot before you ground it

the (black) harness hooked right in...The speaker(white) harness did not...

the speaker harness is the black harness, the white harness is the RCA harness

Your right...the black harness for me was the only one I really used and in my opinion the hardest of the both to install...the RCA(white) I only used two wires (backup camera and ground)...

just pulled it out of the D3 and put it into my X920bt...even the bypass was the same

how is the bypass exactly the same if the plug isn't?

I got the harnesses mixed up, my bad...the install from the D3 to 920bt shouldn't take more than 20-25 min...if it takes any longer you shouldn't be installing the radio yourself..

the main harness may be the same style plug plug, pioneer changed most of their harnesses for the 2009 models, but it doesn't look like they changed the main harness for the nav systems so you probably dont need to rewire the main harness

One that harness I had to ground the yellow wire i think...that was it...

its the yellow/black "mute" wire, the pin has to be moved over one spot before you ground it

Hmmm...

A little more confused now...LOL. We're three levels of quoting deep, now...and that's just two hard to parse...

So, to clarify...

1. WHICH color harness DOES NOT require any re-wiring? White or black?

2. Which color is the "main" harness when you say "main"?

3. For the plug that DOES require re-wiring, how many total changes are we talking? Is it just moving the mute wire over to accomplish the bypass, or is more than that?

4. What does "probably" have to rewire mean? lol

5. Does the existing GPS antenna plug fit or not??

6. Can someone just do a STEP-BY-STEP on EXACTLY what needs to be changed for the guy who started this post? Exact rewiring...pin by pin...and get agreement between the two of you. You'd be helping not only the thread creator, but this guy as well:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/s ... 920bt.html

Hmmm...

A little more confused now...LOL. We're three levels of quoting deep, now...and that's just two hard to parse...

So, to clarify...

1. WHICH color harness DOES NOT require any re-wiring? White or black?

Black

2. Which color is the "main" harness when you say "main"?

Black

3. For the plug that DOES require re-wiring, how many total changes are we talking? Is it just moving the mute wire over to accomplish the bypass, or is more than that?

White...grounding the yellow and black wire...Yes

4. What does "probably" have to rewire mean? lol

5. Does the existing GPS antenna plug fit or not??

Didn't fit...D3 was round...X920BT is square

6. Can someone just do a STEP-BY-STEP on EXACTLY what needs to be changed for the guy who started this post? Exact rewiring...pin by pin...and get agreement between the two of you. You'd be helping not only the thread creator, but this guy as well:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/s ... 920bt.html

Thanks! That's a little more clear. And we finally got someone to give a straight answer on the GPS antenna thing, which has been floating around a few threads in this forum! lol

I imagine the wiring diagrams that come with the unit are helpful, but just in case, here's a potential backup wiring diagram...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio- ... awing.html

Bottom line answer to the guy's original question: Pioneer had to go and change the *#@&%^$ harness for some friggin' reason...and they had to change the connector on the end of the GPS antenna wire. It is NOT a straight plug-and-play upgrade from the D3 to the X920BT. Thanks, Pioneer (not).

P.S. Anybody know if there's any sort of GPS antenna plug adapter out there to switch the D3-compatible GPS antenna plug to fit the X-series models?? People would really rather not have to re-install their GPS antenna and re-run the wire...especially if it's in a hidden, under-the-dash location.

And unnecessary splicing is ALWAYS bad...always introduces noise, and often makes the antenna (or a microphone) unusable.

Friggin' Pioneer...sometimes, I REALLY hate those guys...

P.S. Anybody know if there's any sort of GPS antenna plug adapter out there to switch the D3-compatible GPS antenna plug to fit the X-series models??
NO adapter ive ever seen, you might as well just replace the antenna, you never know if anything inside the antenna has changed and that why the plug is different, maybe the new ant has a higher sensitivity

People would really rather not have to re-install their GPS antenna and re-run the wire...especially if it's in a hidden, under-the-dash location.
if its hidden under the dash, then it should be much easier than replacing it if it was ran to out side the car.

And unnecessary splicing is ALWAYS bad...always introduces noise, and often makes the antenna (or a microphone) unusable.
you are correct

Friggin' Pioneer...sometimes, I REALLY hate those guys...
why, Every single brand i have ever used or sold has periodically changes their harnesses, not just a pioneer thing