AVIC411.com

"Cannot use hdd" after hdd upgrade

Hi all,

Attempted to load the 2010 z3 image on a new toshiba MK6026GAX 60 Gb. I removed the security using mhdd and recovered the image to the drive using acronis true image 2010. When i popped it into the z1 i got a "cannot use hdd" message. I then loaded the 2009 z3 image and got the same error message. I did connect the original drive to the computer, however decided not to go along with the process of changing the original drive, however, when i put the original drive back in the z1 I get the same error message.

I'm thinking windows might be adding/changing something when it loads the drives and assigning drive letters. I noticed that in the tutorial the version of acronis is 10.0(2010 is 13.0) and gives the option to not assign drive letters which i have not found in 2010.

spark notes: got a new drive an loaded z3 2010. got a "cannot use hdd" on my z1. I connected the original drive to the computer but decided not to load the z3 image to it, when i put the original drive back in the z1 got the same "cannot use hdd" message.

any thoughts?

I have had a similar issue.

I bought an upgrade 40GB HD c/w the 2009 Z files and pulled out the 30GB HD, which was working fine.

I took the 30GB HD and did an upgrade using the 2009 files (torrent download) on a Win 7 PC c/w Acronis 2010. When I installed the 30GB in the Z, I got the "cannot read HD" error message.

I fiddled around for along time re-imaging the HD a million ways, but never got it to work again. It did however work just fine in the PC..I use it as a storage drive for all by backup AVIC files now.

I recently bought a toshiba mk6026gax 60GB HD. I unlocked it and took off the security and re-imaged it (Win 7/Acronis 2010 all parttitons in one image) using a backup image file from the currect 40GB. It worked fine when I installed it in the Z.

I then did the 2010 upgrade as per the instructions on this site (one partition at a time). I installed it again and it worked fine.

I wondered if Acronis 2010 was the problem with my 30GB upgrade, however my latest successful experience with the 60GB seems to prove this was not the case.

Acronis v10 vs Acronis 2010

V10 will not run on Windows 7.

2010 shows the option of installing the MBR (master boot record) where V10 does not. Is this a problem?

2010 does not allow you to NOT assign a drive letter. It is either "auto" or a drive letter. is this a problem?

I am planning on setting up a spare Win XP machine with Acronis V10 on it and to try the 30GB HD again...just to see....when I have some time to spare

Update: i have been fiddling around with the reimaging and during the process wiped clean the origional drive :(. I no longer have a backup of my z1 and cannot upgrade the 2 partitions and am stuck formatting the drives with the full 5 partiiton z3 image. I have used both 2010 and 2009 and all have failed using both drives. I just created a new partition on my hdd and will install win xp, as for some reason the vitural machine would not read toshiba drives.

I will try using v10 on xp if this doesnt work perhaps its my z1 itself.. :(