AVIC411.com

iPod Frozen on X920BT

All,

First post on your forum, hoping I'm in the right spot. I installed a new AVIC X920BT two weeks ago, install went well, no issues. Been using it without issue, including all inputs, outputs, and everything in between. Very happy with the hardware, at least until this morning.

While driving in to work this morning, I was listening to music coming from my iPod. I put the music on pause and placed an outgoing cell phone call via Bluetooth. Talked for a few minutes, ended the call, and went back to my music. Decided to listen to an audiobook instead. I got as far as locating the audiobook in the list, but when I went to select it to play, the track would not play.

While I was trying to get it to play, I realized my phone was buzzing, but no incoming call was displayed on the head unit. I answered the call using my handset and couldn't hear anything for several seconds. Finally I could hear the caller speaking to me and we began talking via the handset. A few seconds later, the head unit reestablished a BT connection and picked up the call over the head unit. We finished our business and the caller ended the call from his end.

At this point I went back to trying to get my audiobook to play, but could not.

After scratching my head for a few miles down the road, I pulled out the iPod from the armrest console where it lives now connected to my head unit. The screen still said "Pioneer" and indicated it had loaded the audiobook track I had previously selected. However, I still could not get it to play from the head unit.

Finally, I disconnected the iPod from its cable and found, to my dismay, that it is totally locked up and will not respond to any input from me. The screen still said "Pioneer" as I carried it with me into work.

Now, 6 hours later, the iPod screen is black and non-responsive. I assume (rather, hope) the battery is dead and all will be well as soon as I plug it back in tonight after work. Until that's confirmed, however, I'm trying to understand what went wrong this morning.

My take on the situation is that something bad happened when an incoming call was received via BT on the head unit at the same time I was attempting to access a track on the iPod.

Reference info:

1. The first thing I did after installing the unit, prior to connecting either an iPod or a Bluetooth phone, was to download and update the firmware that was released in August.

2. The iPod is a 160Gb Classic.

3. The BT phone is a BlackBerry 8820.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I hesitate to post this prior to verifying my iPod will come back to life on its own, but have decided to get the query out there in case there's something I should do to preserve the crime scene, so to speak.

Thanks,

Tom

Update: The iPod battery finally drained itself and the screen went black. After plugging it back into the head unit on the way home from work, it finally woke up and started playing again after the battery had charged for about ten minutes. All seems to be working now, but I'm expecting it to happen again without getting to root cause.

Still hoping some of you can offer insight into what is happening.

Thanks,

Tom

There is no reason to panic here. This happens on occasion and is no sign of anything wrong. Its just something that happens when one device is trying to control another. This problem also occurs on other brands of units. In the future, you can simply reset your iPod by holding down the PLAY and CENTER button on the iPod simultaneously. Once you do this it will be good to go. Also FYI if you answer a call from the phone itself the phone will use its own speaker and will not use the units system. Always use the unit to answer a call if you want it to work through your system.