AVIC411.com

AVIC-D2 NavTraffic and SWI-PS installed and loving it

I would like to thank all the folks on this board that helped me decide on the AVIC-D2 and gave me all the information to install the unit. Well, it's in with XM NavTraffic and PAC SWI-PS unit and working flawlessly. And the bypass, a life saver. Will be getting a video iPod soon.

Too tired to take and transfer pics but they will be posted soon. But for those of you considering an install here are a few notes for my experience:

1. Both the XM and GPS ants can work inside the car (even with 30% tinted windows). I travel through the Tidewater, VA area (land of tunnels) and in the past 24 hours have not lost signal.

2. READ THE PAC INSTRUCTIONS SEVERAL TIMES BEFORE EVEN PICKING UP THE UNIT. Will save you lots of time and frustration if you read and re-read the instructions

3. Be patient and have a plan B. There are a maze of wires with this things, go slow, it will save you the headache.

Will post more later. Thanks again for all your help (Now couls someone make or show me how to make backgrounds for the D2... :D ) I don't have access to a DVD burner

dcmidnight -

the XM NavTraffic works great, I am visitng the Va Beach area and it has been a life saver the past couple days. I have the traffic channel button tuned to the home area (DC Metro) and it seems like the updates are constant, but I will know for certain Monday when I return.

GSDaddy -

I mounted the GPS and XM ants next to each other in the area where my third break light resided on the rear interior deck. Even with the tinted windows I get no issues, GPS reads 6-7 sats and XM reads very strong status

Here are some pics from the install. These were taken on the fly with a Nokia 6682 so they are not National Geographic quality. :D

The cover and tint do not effect the XM coverage, get "Very Strong" all over the Tidewater region and DC Metro. GPS seems to be about 100 meters off from actual location but I hear that is an issue with other installs.

post-2848-12872751444528_thumb.jpg

post-2848-12872751446864_thumb.jpg

post-2848-1287275144773_thumb.jpg

Looks great!

I already moved my XM ant inside the car. I put it on top of the rear deck for now. I like what you did and may try it.

You should have the lead for the SAT ant pointing towards the rear of the car. I am not sure if it makes a difference, but I remember the install instructions being very specific on this. It may explain why your positioning is off. You should also make sure the speed wire is connected, as it will improve positioning accuracy. There is also an adjustment to help positioning under “Settings/System Options/Installation Angle Setupâ€. Looking at your photo, I think it should be set for “centeredâ€.

dcmidnight -

I mounted the GPS and XM ants next to each other in the area where my third break light resided on the rear interior deck. Even with the tinted windows I get no issues, GPS reads 6-7 sats and XM reads very strong status

Thanks for the break light idea (and pic). I had easy access to the same location from the inside the trunk. I get very strong status. I also get signal inside my garage! How is it possible to get better signal buried under the rear deck than on the roof of the car?? Thanks again!