AVIC411.com

New to site, Porsche questions

Hello guys:

I've been reading this site for some days now and i love it!

I own a 2001 porsche cabrio with the standard audio sys. (cdr220 unit) and I've been wanting to upgrade it for some time now.

I do know that I'll be getting either a Z-1 or D2 (depending on price mainly of course) and that although I've never done such installation, I'm a pretty handy guy so I know I'll get it done.(with your help of course)

My questions are:

1- Is there a post that would list step by step the installation (as far as the electrical proccedures are??)

I underestand that both satellite radio and gps have antennas so,,

2-Could they be mounted somewhere where they are not seen?

I'm mainly lost when it comes to the electrical part, so any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks guys!!

well, installation depends upon your vehicle, so for your specific vehicle you would need to locate such things as dash kits, wire harness and ant. adapters. Sometimes amplifiers need to be bypassed or integrated. but as far as the unit itself, its a typical aftermarket installation for a double din Head unit. as for the sat. ant. yes you can put them under the dash, maybe with only plastic blocking them from line of sight of the sat. Definitely not under sheet metal or other metal. You might want to decide real quick as the avic z1 and d2 are becoming harder to find at reasonable prices since they will be replaced next year.