AVIC411.com

Is there a decent back up camera for cheap?

Umm probably not. You can find them for that price but most if not all are going to be CMOS cameras and those will give you a grainier picture especially at night. And most of those cameras likely wont last you 6 months. You want a CCD camera. They give a much better picture and seem to be built better. Look into the BOYO cameras. I have the VTL420 that i bought about three years ago and it still works great. I paid about a hundred bucks then.

I bought the Boyo VTK350($27) hoping to put it in my keyhole but it was too big. Specs are almost identical to the one I ended up using, the Boyo VTL120($102) license plate version. Quality is great! Boyo has lots of option under $100 just need to figure out what kind of mounting situation works for you

I used an Audiovox ACA200W with my X710BT install. I'm pretty disappointed with; the camera's rotation bolts are rusting and the quality is poor. It's benefits are that it can rotate and is not one of the license plate varients. IMO the con's outweighed the pro's so I spent some time searching and found a much nicer one from a foreign vendor in china for my X920BT install. It was cheap, chrome plated, the bubble type you see on luxury makes, good quality, required only a single hole to drill (which the wire also feeds through) and has a clean look. It's downside is that it doesn't rotate so the bottom third of the screen is taken up by the bumper, but that's not a major inconvenience. Here are some links,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882600091

http://www.yotoon.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=43&product_id=68

Most of these cameras under 100 bucks are garbage

You're right in the respect that you take a risk purchasing a cheap, foreign camera. I took that risk and got lucky. The link I provided is to the camera I installed. It's very good quality compared to what else I researched online. I was even able to converse with the seller via chat so I knew when it shipped, and he provided me with a tracking number. I ordered it monday, had it friday of the next week. If anyone is interested I can snap a pic or video of it in action. It's not garbage, at least insofar as I have had it, time will tell.

I dont know if this helps anyone , but i went thru 300$ in back up cameras that were license plate style. Reason being I have a few subs in my trunk and after a few weeks the cameras stop working. Make sure if you do have a large stereo in the trunk you get a fixed camera installed or something other than a license plate style one. I tried 2 different brands, the last brand just filled with water and rusted from the inside out, the first one only displayed a black screen.

• 3 weeks later...

I dont know if this helps anyone , but i went thru 300$ in back up cameras that were license plate style. Reason being I have a few subs in my trunk and after a few weeks the cameras stop working. Make sure if you do have a large stereo in the trunk you get a fixed camera installed or something other than a license plate style one. I tried 2 different brands, the last brand just filled with water and rusted from the inside out, the first one only displayed a black screen.

Have you tried putting dynamat on your license plate, this should be a must if not you will scratch your paint behind the license plate and will also rattle your license plate. Hopefully this will fix your issue