AVIC411.com

Using old D1 GPS Antenna

I currently have a AVIC D1 Nav unit. I am installing an AVIC-Z120BT. Can I use the D1's GPS antenna. My reason is the new antenna cable is too short to reach my current GPS location in the rear of my car. I can change the connector between the two. The cable is of the same manufacturer but I don't know if the antenna is the same. The D1 antenna has the letters EDE under it, while the Z120 antenna has the letters JGS. Don't have a clue what they stand for.

I can change the connector between the two. The cable is of the same manufacturer but I don't know if the antenna is the same. The D1 antenna has the letters EDE under it, while the Z120 antenna has the letters JGS. Don't have a clue what they stand for.

Are you saying the connectors are different? I wouldn't try changing or splicing them. If they are the same, it probably will work. Why don't you test it with the old (installed) one first. If it works, you're good!

BTW, it really isn't critical, or important, where you place the antenna. Mine is under the hood (OK it's a mid-engine, so technically its in the front trunk). For a front engine, it would be like attaching it to the firewall next to the wiper motor. It works fine completely covered with the aluminiuum trunk lid.

Are you saying the connectors are different? I wouldn't try changing or splicing them. If they are the same, it probably will work. Why don't you test it with the old (installed) one first. If it works, you're Bob!

BTW, it really isn't critical, or important, where you place the antenna. Mine is under the hood (OK it's a mid-engine, so technically its in the front trunk). For a front engine, it would be like attaching it to the firewall next to the wiper motor. It works fine completely covered with the aluminiuum trunk lid.

The connector clips onto the end of the wire. It is removable on both antennas. I have swapped them already, but just want to know if the antenna is compatible and wont over-volt the gps receiver.