AVIC411.com

help - dead unit during update

Hi all,

I was doing the update when it got to asking for the second sd card. I accidentally cut the power to the unit by opening the car door. On restart, the unit has a blank screen. I disconnected the battery and tried again. No luck. Any ideas?

Thanks. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Just wondering how come the power to the unit was "cut" when the car door was opened?

Fords do that as well as some other cars. You can turn the key off and the head unit will still receive power until you open the door. Don't know why the OP would be doing this without the vehicle being on though.

It's okay. There are worse things to mess up!

I have a 2008 vette. I put it in accessory mode, put the windows down, started the first update, then closed the door and was doing some other things in the garage. When I checked about 20 minutes later it was done with the first sd and I opened the door. That's when the power went off. Never thought that would cut the power, but it did nonetheless.

If the unit can be reflashed at a repair shop, then why can't it be reflashed by me?

Thanks for all your advice and Happy Thanksgiving.

Hi all,

I was doing the update when it got to asking for the second sd card. I accidentally cut the power to the unit by opening the car door. On restart, the unit has a blank screen. I disconnected the battery and tried again. No luck. Any ideas?

It doesn't ask for the second SD. That is a separate step. So I'm not following you.

When I checked about 20 minutes later it was done with the first sd and I opened the door. That's when the power went off. Never thought that would cut the power, but it did nonetheless.

Wait a minute. You said it was DONE with the 1st SD, so it wasn't in the process of flashing. I don't see how shutting the unit off at that point could brick it at that point.

Are you sure it is getting power now? Maybe a fuse flew?

The 2nd SD has nothing to do with the Z110 - Z120 update, only Parrot BT drivers.

Well Bill... thankfully it's just a head unit - MY head unit that I can brick anytime I want if I like - and this proves my "mere mortal" status.

Despite the awkward lecture from VB, I still like the forum.

Yeah, Jason seems like a top bloke- Not sure why Michael is so cranky. On his videos, he sounds like a polite Southern gentleman, but certainly doesn't act that way in the forums.

It doesn't ask for the second SD. That is a separate step. So I'm not following you.

Wait a minute. You said it was DONE with the 1st SD, so it wasn't in the process of flashing. I don't see how shutting the unit off at that point could brick it at that point.

Are you sure it is getting power now? Maybe a fuse flew?

The 2nd SD has nothing to do with the Z110 - Z120 update, only Parrot BT drivers.

Yes, you are right. I mis-spoke when I first wrote this on the forum.

A big part of my mistake was not reading through the update instructions thoroughly to see what was going to happen. Upon further review, the first part verifies the sd card and then the screen changes and it actually does the update. When the screen changed I had the door close with the window open and instead of reading the screen through the open window, I opened the door which cut the power. Totally my screw up as I should have read ahead and I would have left it alone.

So I've pulled the unit and it's ready to ship back. Now I'm not sure what to tell Pioneer support exactly. I don't care about warranty as I'd gladly just pay the repair cost.

Yeah, Jason seems like a top bloke- Not sure why Michael is so cranky. On his videos, he sounds like a polite Southern gentleman, but certainly doesn't act that way in the forums.

Well I do deserve a certain amount of ridicule for being such an idiot. I actually thought the comments were funny.

Yes, you are right. I mis-spoke when I first wrote this on the forum.

A big part of my mistake was not reading through the update instructions thoroughly to see what was going to happen. Upon further review, the first part verifies the sd card and then the screen changes and it actually does the update. When the screen changed I had the door close with the window open and instead of reading the screen through the open window, I opened the door which cut the power. Totally my screw up as I should have read ahead and I would have left it alone.

So I've pulled the unit and it's ready to ship back. Now I'm not sure what to tell Pioneer support exactly. I don't care about warranty as I'd gladly just pay the repair cost.

Oh, and yes the unit was getting power. The screen would glow on and off, the buttons lit up, and I could open and close the door to eject an sd.