AVIC411.com

Over shooting intersection

I just bought a second hand avic z2 and it has the version 3 update with 60 gig hd upgrade..It works great except it over shoots intersections when you come to a stop,so the unit will recalibrate a new route if it needs to, Not good if you don't no where you are..The unit works perfect other than that..I updated to version 5 and same deal. I have reset all the calibrations and have speed input, but seems to be all over.. Its installed in an 08 sierra. Has anyone else run into this? Also I pull into the court and by the time I am parked I am in the park behind my house..How long does it take to recalibrate? I have gone over 10 miles and have one blue bar on each one on the calibration page and gps signal has between 1 and 2 green bars with sats also..Is it the unit that is bad?

• 4 weeks later...

Try going to a place where you are confident of the location, like an intersection (please chose a secluded street because you will be here for about 3 minutes). Then go into the settings and try to edit your position. I can't remember off the top of my head exactly how to do it, I'd have to go check it and post the instructions later, but if you just fumble through your menus I guarante that you will find the feature that allows you to "edit your current position". Try to do this and adjust it to exactly where you are at the intersection. See if this helps, hopefully this is all you need to "recalibrate" the sensors inside. Otherwise, it may be bad gyros inside? Not sure about that, so don't take my word for that one. Perhaps the previous owner "edited" his position and now you need to do the same thing. Good luck and keep us posted.

• 1 month later...

You probably don't have the VSS wire connected.

Accuracy of the position increases exponentially after the VSS is connected. As your vehicle slows down, your position will reflect your speed and give you the best mapping.

This would be my guess. As stated if you dont have your HU hooked into your Variable Speed Sensor or VSS your GPS will still work but will default into using the "Dead Reckoning" mode. This is discussed in your owners manual. Basically your GPS is guessing where your are in your travels.