AVIC411.com

Z2 questions just bought

I have some quick questions.

What is the difference between the CD-RB10 and CD-RB20??? I am hooking up a xm radio (external) and that's about it. MAYBE a cd changer in the future but probably not. What does each model come with??

Are trim rings used often on these DD screens. I bought used and mine didn't come with one. Found on eBay for $27.

What is the best dash kit to get?? The only ones I can find at best buy and futureshop are made by a company called bestkit which requires you to cut a thin strip of plastic and I would rather get a kit that you don't need to do this.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I know you have had these questions for a while, so I'll try to answer them best I can, but you probably already have the answers. The CD-RB10 allows you to hook up an audio source via RCA cables to your AUX IN port. The CD-RB20 allows you to do the same thing, however, it also allows you to daisy chain another piece of hardware via the IP bus where the CD-RB10 will not. The CD-RB20 also seems to have it's own power supply, so you would need to consider that in your wiring scheme, as you would have to splice additional wires in. If you are planning on adding XM, then you will need to go with the CD-RB20. When you get an XM tuner, make sure you get the GEX-P920XM and not the GEX-P910XM. The 920 allows more characters to be displayed on the screen and will have the new stations on it, plus it uses a much better antenna. If you are intersted in XM Navtraffic subscription and it's available in your area, which I just checked and it seems to have only one road in your area, so I don't recommend it (however Toronto seemed to be covered quite well), but you would want the GEX-P10XMT which will give you the radio and the traffic in one unit. As far as the dash kits go, get the one you like the looks of the best. No, you will most likely not need the trim ring with a DD installation, however, if it's a cheap or home-made dash kit, you might. You can always get one later, so install it and then decide whether or not you actually need it. The VSS must be hooked up for accurate GPS location. The GPS system uses a hybrid locator that takes a combination of your GPS location, altitude, car attitude, GPS speed and VSS signal to accurately calculate your location. If any of those things are missing, the system will still try to calculate your location to the best of it's ability, but it may be innacurate at times. For instance, when you go into a tunnel and you lose GPS connection with the satellites, the unit relys on the internal gyros and the VSS to "guestimate" your current position until the GPS satellites are back in view. My advice is, don't be lazy, find your VSS (which isn't hard if you do a little research on the internet, i.e. google: VSS in Chevy Cobalt) and make all the proper connections. You will have a better experience with your unit.

Hope this answers your questions to your satisfaction. If not, feel free to post more questions.

Also, one more thing. Your user's manual is your best friend. I know it looks intimidating, it's pretty big, I must admit. (That's what she said... sorry, couldn't help myself) However, most of your questions can be answered by looking them up in the manual. If nothing else, Pioneer makes VERY thorough users manuals.