AVIC411.com

New Install and not clear on some things.

First post here, a great site!

I'm installing a Z120BT in a 2008 Porsche Boxster with CDR-24 factory head unit and factory amp. I've got the old unit out, the EUROMOTORSPEED kit specifically for my car with its wiring harness adaptor and have placed my GPS and Phone Mic. I plan to use the factory amp and factory speakers so the custom wiring harness in the kit should plug right in.

The VSS Speed Sensor I would like to skip tapping into. Its part of the ABS system and I can't easily get access to it. I pulled the cable to the ABS off, but its a master junction unit, and no easy tap-into access.

Q: Is the VSS required to get this unit to function properly? I assume its mainly for GPS dead reckoning which I can live without. But are other critical functions for the Z120BT tied into it, such as unit shutdown, etc?

I'm only using the main black plug and not the white one with the RCA jacks. Would like to do the bypass to the handbrake, but have read here its not do-able on the black plug only. If that's the case, will the NAV be locked out while driving if the VSS is not hooked up? I don't care anything about watching DVD's while the car is moving, but would be nice to be able to access the NAV while on the move.

I'm pretty confused about Vehicle Speed Sensors and the Parking Brake hookup and how they affect the unit in my setup. Can anyone enlighten me further?

Finally, the Illumination hook up. Is that necessary or is the Z120BT have a auto-sense LCD backlight like the Kenwood?

TIA,

Duane

First post here, a great site!

I'm installing a Z120BT in a 2008 Porsche Boxster with CDR-24 factory head unit and factory amp. I've got the old unit out, the EUROMOTORSPEED kit specifically for my car with its wiring harness adaptor and have placed my GPS and Phone Mic. I plan to use the factory amp and factory speakers so the custom wiring harness in the kit should plug right in.

The VSS Speed Sensor I would like to skip tapping into. Its part of the ABS system and I can't easily get access to it. I pulled the cable to the ABS off, but its a master junction unit, and no easy tap-into access.

Q: Is the VSS required to get this unit to function properly? I assume its mainly for GPS dead reckoning which I can live without. But are other critical functions for the Z120BT tied into it, such as unit shutdown, etc?

I'm only using the main black plug and not the white one with the RCA jacks. Would like to do the bypass to the handbrake, but have read here its not do-able on the black plug only. If that's the case, will the NAV be locked out while driving if the VSS is not hooked up? I don't care anything about watching DVD's while the car is moving, but would be nice to be able to access the NAV while on the move.

I'm pretty confused about Vehicle Speed Sensors and the Parking Brake hookup and how they affect the unit in my setup. Can anyone enlighten me further?

Finally, the Illumination hook up. Is that necessary or is the Z120BT have a auto-sense LCD backlight like the Kenwood?

TIA,

Duane

Duane,

Since you bought from EuroMotorSpeed, contact them for help with the VSS and ILL wire connections. In fact, call. Loi (the proprietor) is an expert; he has a Boxster himself. He lives nearby and came to my house to help with the install. In fact, he did most of the hard stuff himself. The down side of that was I was busy doing other things while he hooked up the VSS. I did look over his shoulder and helped route the wire up there. Mine is a 2010 Cayman, but I don't think the ABS harness changed. Ask Loi how to get to the correct wire. I recall him un-wrapping the tape around the wire bundle a few inches before the connector to expose the wires. I don't have his printed instructions with me, so I can't give any specifics on which wire to tap.

The ILL wire went to the tail-light harness. It is a long way to hide the wire, but it is the best place to get a clear shot to a light circuit. I really don't know why they dont use the front parking/running lights, especially since we already pulled the VSS wire up there and it is right behind the left headlight. You will want ILL, not just for the reverse video (which is optional), but daytime and night time illumination levels should be different (and easily configurable).

Do the bypass. I don't understand why you don't want to connect the black RCA harness. Yes, it is bulky, but there is room for all the extra connectors behind the HU. Just careful and tuck them in. I used the factory speakers too. It was tight, but it will all fit.

BTW, you said you were using the factory amp/speakers. Do you have the Bose speaker/amps? That's a more complicated installation. If you are using the factory amp, I think you need the RCA connectors on the black harness. Mine was the just the base 4 speakers.

Also, there are 987 owners on Planet-9.com that can help with specifics on the install. I think there are several articles and definitely many threads about installing after-market units.

Ron,

I called and talked to Loi, and you're right - he's tremendously helpful and answered all my questions precisely. That was a huge help, because I would have installed it incorrectly (wiring) the way I was going to do it. We jointed decided to skip the VSS wire on the car, its very difficult to get to on my Boxster so I'll run the wire up there, but not hook it up. If need be, I can tackle it later on.

Have the bypass all figured out with Loi's help. Even though I'm not using the RCA jacks (White Plug) I have to install it to make the bypass work.

BTW, for anyone that reads this in the future, the Euro Motorspeed Kit for Porsche is a must-have when doing these double-din units. Yes, its expensive, but its well thought out, sturdy, color-matched perfectly to look factory, and you get excellent tech support as well. Find them on their EBAY store.

-Duane