AVIC411.com

Z120BT USB Hub + Hard Drive

Hello,

I'bve got a z120Bt and was wondering if the USb port on the back supported a USB hub (powered from electrical system)

I've read a few threads that say it supports powered hubs but only one device at once, can anyone confirm this? I would need a HUb in order to have two usb for the hard drive. one USB that runs to a power plug and one for data.

I've also read the head unit supports USB hard drives, as long as they have power (to help spin it) and formated in fat32.

Is this correct on both accounts?

Thanks,

Brad

This has been covered in the pinned topic about the 110. The same results will apply here.

Forgive me, but I tried to locate the pinned topic by subject but I couldn't determine which pinned thread could be covering "usb hub". I tried to search the forum but the search feature wont let me search for words less than 3 characters:

"One or all of your search keywords were below 4 characters or you searched for words which are not allowed, such as 'html', 'img', etc, please increase the length of these search keywords or choose different keywords."

Apparently it's in the common problems section. The pinned thread is far from an official stance on USB hubs, and generally speaking it comes down to the hub itself.

From a computer standpoint, you would need a hub that is driverless, and has passthrough detection as well as packet labelling. This will not be on "cheap"USB hubs.

I've ordered a USB 3.0 hub (backwards compatable), and these new hubs have a better identification and passthrough control. I'll post my results once it shows up.

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently it's in the common problems section. The pinned thread is far from an official stance on USB hubs, and generally speaking it comes down to the hub itself.

From a computer standpoint, you would need a hub that is driverless, and has passthrough detection as well as packet labelling. This will not be on "cheap"USB hubs.

I've ordered a USB 3.0 hub (backwards compatable), and these new hubs have a better identification and passthrough control. I'll post my results once it shows up.

But it all depends on how the hub is going to be powered? Just through the one USB cable from the screen? I plugged in my ext 2.5" HD to the USB port but it only powers it up and I don't feel the disks spinning inside. I too am trying to find a compatible hub to power a portable hard drive. If you find a hub that is powered enough to take a 2.5" hard drive please let me know... dying to use my external HD in my car! My 500gb beats 16/32/64gb that's for sure!

But it all depends on how the hub is going to be powered? Just through the one USB cable from the screen? I plugged in my ext 2.5" HD to the USB port but it only powers it up and I don't feel the disks spinning inside. I too am trying to find a compatible hub to power a portable hard drive. If you find a hub that is powered enough to take a 2.5" hard drive please let me know... dying to use my external HD in my car! My 500gb beats 16/32/64gb that's for sure!

Hello. I'm doing my install tomorrow. I will be running one cord from the back of my unit to the front for data, and then wiring in 4 USB cigarette lighter plugins, and flush mounting them to a panel in the car. Most hard drives support power from one USB and data from another. This is the best way to do this.

I own 2 external 2.5" portable hard disk drives. One takes two cables (data and power), the other one takes one (both data and power in one). Neither of them worked with my screen. I need an external power source like a cigarette lighter to USB plug to test this but I haven't had the time. When I try it out i'll post my results as well.. Lemme know how your install goes!