AVIC411.com

X920 Antenna - Outside Mountable?

Hi, I'm new to the forum and am curiuos if the X920 antenna can be mounted outside; or better said...is it weatherproof?

I can mount it on the dash of my truck, but am a little scared of the reception it may get; as well as the Sirius reception; as I believe, Sirius antenna is integrated into the GPS antenna?

Thank you in advance for any help!

I believe, Sirius antenna is integrated into the GPS antenna?

nope, there is no built in sat radio with any of the nav systems, there are add on parts needed for this, and they will come with their own antennas

sat antennas are much more critical to having to be outside the car as there are far fewer sirius radio sat's than there are GPS sat's

GPS antenna mounted inside = works fine

sat radio antenna mounted inside = works ok in some areas, and doesnt work much at all in most areas

curiuos if the X920 antenna can be mounted outside; or better said...is it weatherproof?

Yes

I can mount it on the dash of my truck, but am a little scared of the reception it may get
it will be fine inside the car as long as there is no metal over the antenna, i actually have mine mounted under the dash, as long as there is not too much plastic over it, it will pick up signal fine. this is actually where i place most antennas that i install.

No it is not weatherproof. Keep your antenna on the inside.

let try to only reply when you know what you are talking about and not just guessing at stuff.

quoted from page 25 of the installation manual

"some models use window glass that does not allow signals from GPS sattelites to pass through. on such models, install the GPS antenna out side the vehicle."

now it would be kind stupid for pioneer to reccomend placing a non weatherproof antenna on the outside of the car wouldn't it chief?

let try to only reply when you know what you are talking about and not just guessing at stuff.

quoted from page 25 of the installation manual

"some models use window glass that does not allow signals from GPS sattelites to pass through. on such models, install the GPS antenna out side the vehicle."

now it would be kind stupid for pioneer to reccomend placing a non weatherproof antenna on the outside of the car wouldn't it chief?

I sat thru a Pioneer training where the Pioneer Trainer specifically said they are not weatherproof and not to mount them outside. So excuse me for relaying first hand information from someone that works for Pioneer and not guessing - chief.....

And I have had to correct Pioneer Tech support many times on the phone about how their units work so it wouldn't be the first time that someone from Pioneer didn't know what they were talking about. Maybe there technically not waterproof but people on this forum have been installing them outside of their vehicles for years and out of all the issues I have seen reported on this forum (including Pioneer reps that didn't know what they were talking about) I have never seen an antenna issue reported do to weather related causes. Nevertheless lets not let this thread turn into a pissing match please.

sounds like somebodys never talked to pioneer over the phone, those jackwagons couldnt tell the difference between a AVIC and a kenwood, thats why everytime you call them you get a totally different story. if their own tech support can be that sketchy, then you gotta know that the marketing guys and reps get even less consistant info. its too bad that guy didn't bother to read the manual, now you got to wonder what else he was just making up to fill the void in his knowledge base.