AVIC411.com

Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT dual zone audio

So I tried to talk to a local Pioneer dealer and Pioneer customer service twice and every time I receive conflicting info. Maybe some of you own a previous version of this in dash nav and could help answer my question?

I am looking to buy the new AVIC-Z130BT navigation. Will I be able to connect the rear monitor in such way, that would allow me to use navigation upfront (with the sound coming out from the front set of speakers) and to play DVD in a back (with the sound coming through the rear speakers)? This way the navigation won't mute the DVD sound when it's time for the instruction on when to turn which will keep a child in the rear seat nice and happy.

I only have 4 speakers in my car. Can I buy some sort of module/adapter to make this work in case it's not meant to be that way originally?

One lady in customer support told me it's not a "full dual zone" (???) and to utilize it would require the use of headphones for the second audio zone (which is not an option for us).

Will appreciate any help!

Dual audio doesn't mean your car speakers are split into two zones. It means you can send the video (and audio) of a DVD to your rear monitor and at the same time listen to a different source such as navigation prompts. The DVD sound would play out of whatever sound output is selected at the rear monitor (built in speakers, headphone jack, wireless headphones, etc.) while navigation sound continues to come through the vehicle's speakers. I usually fade the vehicle speakers 100% to the front when the rear monitors are on to create 2 "zones."

Dual audio doesn't mean your car speakers are split into two zones. It means you can send the video (and audio) of a DVD to your rear monitor and at the same time listen to a different source such as navigation prompts. The DVD sound would play out of whatever sound output is selected at the rear monitor (built in speakers, headphone jack, wireless headphones, etc.) while navigation sound continues to come through the vehicle's speakers. I usually fade the vehicle speakers 100% to the front when the rear monitors are on to create 2 "zones."

Thank you for taking time to help me with this!

1. So if the NAV sound comes through the speakers, it will mute the DVD audio if also elected to be played through the speakers? (Dealer said: "no prob, will only mute front"; one guy from customer support said "will play fine through separately installed additional set of speakers"; another lady from support: "the continuous uninterrupted audio for rear monitor DVD source could only be achieved through the wireless headphones"). At the end of the day I don't even care if both audio "overlap" each other as long as the DVD sound keeps on going. But the option with the built-in speakers (for monitor) is a great one. Didn't think of that. Wonder if it sounds all right (not too quiet)?

2. Sorry, I didn't really get the fade part. My previous car had an option to fade down (Left/right; front/rear) sound, but not the one I currently own. If that's something I would get with my new Pioneer HU, would you mind telling me the setting you're using to keep your rear seat passengers happy?

Thank you for taking time to help me with this!

1. So if the NAV sound comes through the speakers, it will mute the DVD audio if also elected to be played through the speakers? (Dealer said: "no prob, will only mute front"; one guy from customer support said "will play fine through separately installed additional set of speakers"; another lady from support: "the continuous uninterrupted audio for rear monitor DVD source could only be achieved through the wireless headphones"). At the end of the day I don't even care if both audio "overlap" each other as long as the DVD sound keeps on going. But the option with the built-in speakers (for monitor) is a great one. Didn't think of that. Wonder if it sounds all right (not too quiet)?

2. Sorry, I didn't really get the fade part. My previous car had an option to fade down (Left/right; front/rear) sound, but not the one I currently own. If that's something I would get with my new Pioneer HU, would you mind telling me the setting you're using to keep your rear seat passengers happy?

If you are playing DVD audio through the car's speakers, you can choose in the preferences panel whether or not you want the audio to be muted when there is a guidance prompt. I'm under the impression all speakers are muted equally, not just the front ones, but I could be wrong. In your case, just choose not to have the volume muted and the guidance prompts will simply play over the DVD audio. It may be difficult to hear, but DVD audio will not be interrupted. For this function, dual zone audio is not even necessary.

If you want to listen to a second source, then you need the dual zone function. For example, kids want to watch a movie but I want to listen to the radio. Rear monitors are connected to the HU's AV out so a movie with sound is playing in the back (but not through the car speakers) and I can listen to the radio in the front through the car speakers. I fade the audio all the way to the front so that the radio is playing only over the front speakers. As long as your car's front and rear speakers are on separate leads, you should be able to control this through the AVIC. I have 4 headrest monitors in the back, each with built in speakers and they are just loud enough at maximum volume for each kid to hear. They watch a movie and I listen to the radio. When I approach a turn, the radio can be muted for the guidance prompt while the AV out signal to the rear monitors is not affected.

Hope this helps.

If you are playing DVD audio through the car's speakers, you can choose in the preferences panel whether or not you want the audio to be muted when there is a guidance prompt. I'm under the impression all speakers are muted equally, not just the front ones, but I could be wrong. In your case, just choose not to have the volume muted and the guidance prompts will simply play over the DVD audio. It may be difficult to hear, but DVD audio will not be interrupted. For this function, dual zone audio is not even necessary.

If you want to listen to a second source, then you need the dual zone function. For example, kids want to watch a movie but I want to listen to the radio. Rear monitors are connected to the HU's AV out so a movie with sound is playing in the back (but not through the car speakers) and I can listen to the radio in the front through the car speakers. I fade the audio all the way to the front so that the radio is playing only over the front speakers. As long as your car's front and rear speakers are on separate leads, you should be able to control this through the AVIC. I have 4 headrest monitors in the back, each with built in speakers and they are just loud enough at maximum volume for each kid to hear. They watch a movie and I listen to the radio. When I approach a turn, the radio can be muted for the guidance prompt while the AV out signal to the rear monitors is not affected.

Hope this helps.

Wow! your response beats any Pioneer customer representative I spoke to so far! Thanks a lot! Definitely helped me.