AVIC411.com

Another installation question

I happen to be troubleshooting a little rattle comming from one of my left side speakers and realized something....

When my balance is completely to the right I had no more sub comming out at all, so I thought I either had a burnt fused or a disconected wire on one of the amps. So I took my setup appart to realized that the AVICs use a stereo output for the subwoofer, even though the signal is probably a single channel with relly no difference for left or right.

But in my car (mustang with shaker 500) I had connected the 2 sub inputs from the PAC module to the 2 sub output of the radio thinking that's how it was supposed to be.

After following the wires I realized that one of the PAC RCA wire goes the the factory sub connector but there is nothing on the other side of that connector, no wire at all. Looking at the Mustang wiring diagram I realizd than 1 RCA connector feeds the sub for the Shaker 500 (front) and the other feeds the sub for the shaker 1000 (trunk), wich I don't have. They are mono.

So my question is should I just leave one output from the AVIC (right side) connected to my sub or should I use a "Y" adaptor to feed right and left signal to my only sub ?

So far, other than having no sub output if my balance is completely on the right, the sub output seems fine. But I'm concerned of not getting the full signal to my sub by only using one channel.

On the other end I don't want to damage my unit by using a "Y" adaptor if I don't need it.

PS I have looked in the installation notes and there's no reference regarding using a "Y" adaptor for mono subs....

Thanks for your feedback

well for most people, having it hooked up to only the left or right output will not be a problem, however, there is some music out there that will have certain thing recorded on one channel and something else recorded on the other. for instance, vocals on the left track and music on the right track. this is very uncommon and really shouldnt be a problem, however if you use a Y-splitter, then you dont ever have to worry about it.