AVIC411.com

Navigation Installation Problem

Hey Everyone,

I recently put a 920BT into my 09 Smart ForTwo Passion. The vehicle came with the double Din in dash 6 CD changer radio with 5 speakers. For the most part the unit is great. The major problem I'm having is with the nav.

For the life of me I couldn't figure this issue out. I picked the car up at night from the installer & Nav unit showed me within 50 meters of the store, which the salesperson told me was average due to the unit not finishing it's calibration. Once on the freeway the unit worked perfectly, lane guidance, turns, just about everything. After leaving the freeway the unit was at least 5 blocks off where I actually was. In addition to that, when I was "stopped" the unit showed my vehicle continuing to move through streets, jumping blocks left & right. Initially I thought the unit was struggling with Satellite reception and since it was extra rainy & cloudy that night I thought that added to the signal issue. The next day the rain was gone, and I went out to my car to configure a few more items, I jumped in the car booted up the unit, and there I was moving through the streets while parked again. I also get the stock warning about the Parking brake ground being improperly installed?

Working through some trouble shooting on my own I've figured out the following. If I'm on the move, and I physically turn off the headlights, the nav unit thinks I've stopped. If I notch the emergency brake up just enough to engage the light, I have all the menu's unlocked so I can change all the settings from the top menu. Very odd. In order for the Nav to work correctly in town, I have to turn off my headlight switch everytime I come up to a stop or traffic light in order for the nav unit to see that I have in fact stopped. The other closely related issue is that the Day/night dimming feature isn't installed. I have to manually adjust the display each time between day and night. Ugh. I expect a little more for a 1K av unit.

Any suggestions?

Hey Everyone,

I recently put a 920BT into my 09 Smart ForTwo Passion. The vehicle came with the double Din in dash 6 CD changer radio with 5 speakers. For the most part the unit is great. The major problem I'm having is with the nav.

For the life of me I couldn't figure this issue out. I picked the car up at night from the installer & Nav unit showed me within 50 meters of the store, which the salesperson told me was average due to the unit not finishing it's calibration. Once on the freeway the unit worked perfectly, lane guidance, turns, just about everything. After leaving the freeway the unit was at least 5 blocks off where I actually was. In addition to that, when I was "stopped" the unit showed my vehicle continuing to move through streets, jumping blocks left & right. Initially I thought the unit was struggling with Satellite reception and since it was extra rainy & cloudy that night I thought that added to the signal issue. The next day the rain was gone, and I went out to my car to configure a few more items, I jumped in the car booted up the unit, and there I was moving through the streets while parked again. I also get the stock warning about the Parking brake ground being improperly installed?

Working through some trouble shooting on my own I've figured out the following. If I'm on the move, and I physically turn off the headlights, the nav unit thinks I've stopped. If I notch the emergency brake up just enough to engage the light, I have all the menu's unlocked so I can change all the settings from the top menu. Very odd. In order for the Nav to work correctly in town, I have to turn off my headlight switch everytime I come up to a stop or traffic light in order for the nav unit to see that I have in fact stopped. The other closely related issue is that the Day/night dimming feature isn't installed. I have to manually adjust the display each time between day and night. Ugh. I expect a little more for a 1K av unit.

Any suggestions?

Yes I would suggest the the installer has completed ferked up your install. Sounds like they've hooked up the speed signal wire to the wrong place. In fact it doesn't NEED to be connected at all. I ran a F900 for 2 years and it never missed a beat. With regards the handbrake, that is a safety feature. Again you can bypass it by connecting the handbrake wire to ground. I would take it back and check the wiring, get them to disconnect the speed signal wire completely and test it. You will probably have to do the bypass mod yourself. Have a look here to see how to do it :

http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/27275-x920bt-bypass-confirmed/

Yes I would suggest the the installer has completed ferked up your install. Sounds like they've hooked up the speed signal wire to the wrong place. In fact it doesn't NEED to be connected at all. I ran a F900 for 2 years and it never missed a beat. With regards the handbrake, that is a safety feature. Again you can bypass it by connecting the handbrake wire to ground. I would take it back and check the wiring, get them to disconnect the speed signal wire completely and test it. You will probably have to do the bypass mod yourself. Have a look here to see how to do it :

http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/27275-x920bt-bypass-confirmed/

I'm heading back to the store today, Am I basically asking the installer to 're-check' his work, or does he need a suggestion to check? I'm not an installer, so I have no idea. I'm basically asking them to fix it, but if they have no Idea what I'm talking about possibly a suggestion as what or where the wire was incorrectly installed might help.

thanks again

Jason

It sounds very much like the installer has mixed up the illumination and speed signal wires. As I said, get the installer to disconnect the speed wire (it's the pink wire on the Pioneer loom). Does the Nav unit show good GPS signal?

The illumination when hooked up the to car properly will switch the Nav unit between day and night modes, illumination is the orange wire from the Nav unit btw.

• 1 month later...

I have similar problems, gps position being completely off. Except at hone when I installed it first time, it found the coordinates, 20m off by the way.

Does the auto calibration gyro thing help to get matters sorted?

I resetted this cal. setting and looks like it needs to learn now. First spin around the block showed me driving through the neighbours houses then ended up in a field....

Could it be I need the metallic sheet under the gps aerial, it is mounted just two cm above the f920BT unit, hoped this would be enough shielding.

In my setup I haven't connected the speed pulse by the way, and as I installed it in my wife's car I don't ride it enough around to test, maybe I should but it's such a small car ;-)

Cheers,

Frans