AVIC411.com

Looking for a better HU

Any suggestions? I want something with much better navigation as well as compensation for traffic... I want great navigation and good iPod interface... I was thinking of the Sony XNV-770BT as it uses Tom Tom for it's navigation however I haven't really been able to find good videos that show off it's iPod navigation and from what I have seen it looks like the interface for the iPod is kind of laggy :( Any other suggestions?

I would recommend the Kenwood DNX9960 or the new 99080HD soon to be released.

Hmm... the 9960 looks interesting indeed. How do you like the navigation on it? That's the unit that you have right? In watching the videos on their website the interface looks a bit laggy, have their been updates that fix or reduce that since it's been released, or perhaps the 9980HD fixes that? I haven't seen any vids of the 9980 yet so I'll try to find some. Thanks for your help Vlbue! Oh yeah, is there a forum like this one with kenwood HU fans that you know of and any idea if the Kenwood series are customizable/hackable like the old Pioneers used to be?

I dont know much about sony but i know that kenwood and pioneer are the leaders in this field. Song has so many products that they cant make any of them as good as they could be because they are spread out over a large field of electronics.

The kenwood units are very slow (slow start up, Slow Interface) as you have said they are very laggy. The gps on this unit is probably rated the best because it uses garmin. Personally if i wanted garmin i would go buy one. I would rather have a custom built gps interface that works better with the unit rather than stick on that is already made and trying to make it work. Kenwood will also give you a little bit better audio (not much but it will be better) But the overall interface is lacking. These units are very pricy they are one if not the most expensive units you can get.

The pioneer units have a much better interface and the gps on them is average as you probably already know.

I would wait if I were you and see about the new products that come out. Maybe look into the z130 because it does have built in traffic and hd radio which is free

If not then wait till the new series comes out.

(Pioneer seems to release a new overhaul every 3 units)

The Garmin navi on the Kenwood units is nearly flawless. Much better then with the Pioneer unit. The interface is laggy and there are will be no updates to fix it. It is the biggest downside of the Kenwood units. The 9980 hasn't been released yet but apparently will share the laggy interface. And www.kenwoodfaorums.com would be that forum. You will see a lot of me over there as well.

• 5 weeks later...

Just a random question... I've never updated my Avic after the Z120 update over the summer... I know another came out and it fixed the whole last name/first name reversal issue with the phone calling but did it fix or enhance anything else? Just trying to see if it is worth updating... Have any other updates come since then?