AVIC411.com

tired of slugishness on the f900? i am! Almost fixed.

this is my first thread here and i'm sure the mods will move it into the correct spot if it doesn't belong here. i'm posting what i know and hoping a few people with more experience with windows ce can progress this to completion with me. i've done plenty of work over at xda-developers and am comfortable enough with windows mobile to play around, plus i have a spare f900bt. but i am no expert.

important stuff

the f900bt runs an arm xscale processor similar to most smartphones. specifically it runs an arm1136J-S.

http://www.arm.com/products/processors/classic/arm11/arm1136.php for more information.

our processor runs in the 500mhz range if i'm not mistaken.

and no i'm not recommending something ridiculous like opening up the unit and soldering in a faster processor. however a 30%gain is more than realistic and achievable through overclocking in my experience. running a very similar processor and omapclock two smartphones ago with windows mobile 6.1 i stably achieved 628mhz which would be a huge improvement for us. hell the software runs now but is just laggy so throw an extra 100+ mhz on it and these units should fly.

what i've done so far. you can access the native windows os on our units through the settings and then service menu after the unit fully boots, not from an sd card. you have full permissions to install programs as i've already done. i've loaded xcpuscalar 3.03 onto the f900bt via cab from the sd card slot. installs fine, short cuts load to the start menu. but i get a protection code 3 when running. after that it's easy, establish a default value, create a startup folder and drop the sortcut or hell, even add an autoexec.bat command line...ahh the good ol' days.

i chose xcpuscalar because it has a generic overclock function that is compatible with our processors and the native OS on the f900bt obviously there is nothing device specific for us or i wouldn't be posting here. update, xcpuscalar is for arm based processors but doesn't support ours. i'm in contact with a dev over at xda trying to modify one of his personal programs to run on our machines. however we have to have atleast .net cf 3.5 so i'm working on loading that onto my unit now.

if anyone wants to work with me on this i have a copy of the overclock program i'm using and have no problem sending it to you.

btw, carver, i know your out there, did you ever get the larger nand chip for internal memory running? i have some input for you on that and possibly some alternatives.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've been a little busy trying to cram a variable valve timing ls9 into my gto, i'm going to work on this some this weekend, i'll keep you guys up to date as much as possible. i think the choppy sd/usb playback is partially due to the processor speed since when i play a highdef video its worse than somting lowres, but we'll see.

i've been a little busy trying to cram a variable valve timing ls9 into my gto, i'm going to work on this some this weekend, i'll keep you guys up to date as much as possible. i think the choppy sd/usb playback is partially due to the processor speed since when i play a highdef video its worse than somting lowres, but we'll see.

ws6nightcat,

Should you succeed in doing this hack, it will be one of the most useful hacks around for the AVIC, for sure! :cool:

Cheer!

I did some research and it seems that xcpuscalar doesn't support our CPUs. (that error code means that) Overclocking is very CPU specific, we should identify the CPU spot on, if we want to do this. How do you know it's an ARM 1136? I couldn't find this info anywhere else, and it only seems like a family name, not a specific CPU. The specific cpu for that family looks like MSM7227 and there are options for it on Android only.

ws6nightcat,

Should you succeed in doing this hack, it will be one of the most useful hacks around for the AVIC, for sure! :cool:

Cheer!

Absolutely. I as well come from the smartphone world. As a matter of fact the Omnia II, which literally has almost the exact same architecture as the processor in these machines. I am almost positive that this can be achieved, and if I can lend a hand in any way, lmk. I'll try and get in contact with some of the amazing devs in the O2 communtiy as well.

Absolutely. I as well come from the smartphone world. As a matter of fact the Omnia II, which literally has almost the exact same architecture as the processor in these machines. I am almost positive that this can be achieved, and if I can lend a hand in any way, lmk. I'll try and get in contact with some of the amazing devs in the O2 communtiy as well.

That's good news! Hope that more knowledgeable people will show up.

how do you access windows OS after the unit boots, can you explain? Testmode doesn't let me install. I would like to install 2 overclock programs and try. thanks.

The access to the Windows OS shell is pretty standard these days on all NAV MOD. In Chuck88's mod for example (my mod), you bring up the on map menu icons, turn to Applications Menu, then click on Explorer or CE Commander.

You can even bring up the task manager on the same menu and kill the the Phone application (TEL.exe), Audio/Video application (AV.exe) and iGo Nav application (iGo.exe) before loading your overclocking programs.

Good lucks!