AVIC411.com

Installing Android OS 2.3 or 3.0 on an F700BT

I am a computer engineer, and I have wrote lots of low level code for proprietary hardware. I'll tell you this.. it is not even worth it. If you want better functionality out of a car stereo like Android provides, go with a headunit that already comes with it. There are a few on the market. Or, go with a CarPC. They're much easier to setup and customize. If I were to attempt to code for the F700bt, it would take months.. or a team of people months. Hardly worth it. It probably wouldn't even run smooth on the outdated ARM processor.

I am a computer engineer, and I have wrote lots of low level code for proprietary hardware. I'll tell you this.. it is not even worth it. If you want better functionality out of a car stereo like Android provides, go with a headunit that already comes with it. There are a few on the market. Or, go with a CarPC. They're much easier to setup and customize. If I were to attempt to code for the F700bt, it would take months.. or a team of people months. Hardly worth it. It probably wouldn't even run smooth on the outdated ARM processor.

I'm of the same advise, since you would have to recode all the low-level drivers, ALMOST as much as what the folks at Pioneer have done to the WinCE 5.0 to bring the AVIC to the market! :mrgreen:

• 4 weeks later...

first posting here after long time but have to say that Android requires 1GHZ processor and minimum 512 ram to work properly.so this "android" going on the avic is really out of the question

In what world is that? Maybe Honeycomb has those requirements but 2.1/2.2 etc don't.

Case in point: HTC Hero

528MHz

256MB RAM (133MB available for user storage)

Samsung Moment:

800MHz

512MB (253 available for user)

And those arent' the only ones below 1GHz. Let's not forget items like the Archos 5 and Nook Color.

Driver (lack of) support is the issue. Personally, I'd love to see webOS ported to it. Now THAT would make an incredible car system.

In what world is that? Maybe Honeycomb has those requirements but 2.1/2.2 etc don't.

528MHz

Samsung Moment:

800MHz

And those arent' the only ones below 1GHz. Let's not forget items like the Archos 5 and Nook Color.

Driver (lack of) support is the issue. Personally, I'd love to see webOS ported to it. Now THAT would make an incredible car system.

sorry to burst your bubble but WebOS will likely die now that HP has discontinued their systems

sorry to burst your bubble but WebOS will likely die now that HP has discontinued their systems

Tell me about it. Never had a cell phone for longer than 10 months. I've had this one since July '09. Over 2yrs! It'd be nice if they do manage to shop the OS license to HTC or Samsung though...

I admit though, I really am looking forward to placing that order on the Motorola Photon.... ;)

528MHz

Samsung Moment:

800MHz

No offence but the avic like mine f910bt has only a 500mhz(Sirf Titan processor used specially for navigation not for anything else like video playback) and 256mb of ram did you know that? is so slow that is only play 640x400 divx files and still is choppy do not compare this "Titan" processor with the Qualcomm ones .we are now in 2011 almost 2012 who would like to use an obsolete Operating System . not even the ios 3 isn't good anymode barelly the andoid 2.1 or 2.2

Did not said that i would not love to have my unit work faster than it does but that's it! i cant do anything about it

I choose Pioneer for the Sound Quality and that it has igo8 (thought that it would play better the video files)pitty the display

Good luck.

Haven't come here in months, yet your same positive, innovative attitude is still here...how refreshing.

Any, to the OP...I've got the same hopes you do, so it comes down to someone knowing how to write the stuff (maybe some of the geniuses over on XDA-Developers.com who write all the custom ROMs and Kernals and I use on my phone) and the willingness to do so. As far fatched as it may be, I'd love if my F90BT looked like this vs having to buy a Dynavin unit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKuiXTBKGfU&feature=related

• 1 month later...

nowbody wants to understand that "PIONEER "!!! Stand still for the Audio quality !!! thats why they have those huge prices for the units.

i had all kinds of 2DIN units starting from kenwood to alpine clarion jvc audiovox and many more. Even a few of the chineze types built for my car,also with igo or any navigation system you would like to run. BUT! they all sound like crap!!! trust me i work in the HI-FI bussines. I made a few comparision with a 2010 5-er bmw with DIRAC sound system and guess what! MY AVIC SOUNDS WAY MUCH BETTER THAN THAT.

This : http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/32763-english-avicnet-for-avic-f-series/ is the last tweak i will try on my unit after that ..no more .

like i said i would like Android or WEBOS on my unit but it has to be a Pioneer.