AVIC411.com

BACKUP CAMERA WIRING QUESTION

I GOT THE Z110BT, WITH A BACKUP CAMERA WIRED TO THE REVERSE LIGHT WIRES. IT WORKS PERFECTLY WHEN I PUT THE CAR IN REVERSE, ETC... NO PROBLEMS THERE. NOW, WHEN I GO THRU THE MENUS I SEE AN OPTION THAT ALLOWS YOU TO GET A REAR VIEW BUT WHEN I PRESS THAT NOTHING HAPPENS. IS THERE A SPECIAL WAY TO WIRE THE CAM TO GET THIS FEATURE TO WORK WHILE THE CAR IS IN DRIVE OR PARK?

HAS ANYONE DONE THIS ?

I GOT THE Z110BT, WITH A BACKUP CAMERA WIRED TO THE REVERSE LIGHT WIRES. IT WORKS PERFECTLY WHEN I PUT THE CAR IN REVERSE, ETC... NO PROBLEMS THERE. NOW, WHEN I GO THRU THE MENUS I SEE AN OPTION THAT ALLOWS YOU TO GET A REAR VIEW BUT WHEN I PRESS THAT NOTHING HAPPENS. IS THERE A SPECIAL WAY TO WIRE THE CAM TO GET THIS FEATURE TO WORK WHILE THE CAR IS IN DRIVE OR PARK?

HAS ANYONE DONE THIS ?

What is the power source for your camera? Does it get its power from the BU light? If you want to use the camera on-demand, you need a power source that is ON when the ignition is on.

What is the power source for your camera? Does it get its power from the BU light? If you want to use the camera on-demand, you need a power source that is ON when the ignition is on.

As a matter of fact, yes it does get its power from the (+)wire of the B/U Light. But if I hook it up to a ACC wire, how's that gonna work with the reverse sensor wire (green), plus having it hooked up to an ACC means that it's gonna reduce the life of the camera because it's gonna be juiced up whenever the car is on even when I'm not using the cam ? Right ? What's ur input on that?

As a matter of fact, yes it does get its power from the (+)wire of the B/U Light. But if I hook it up to a ACC wire, how's that gonna work with the reverse sensor wire (green), plus having it hooked up to an ACC means that it's gonna reduce the life of the camera because it's gonna be juiced up whenever the car is on even when I'm not using the cam ? Right ? What's ur input on that?

The BU circuit is used for telling your HU that the car is backing-up only. If your HU is configured, itwill switch to the display when BU is energized (depending on settings). It is also used, along with VSS, for dead-reckoning when there is an interruption of sattelite signal. If you also chose to power your camera off your Backup Light circuit, then it will only have power when you are in reverse. In no case does the HU power the camera.

If you want to have the camera operate at other times, you need another power source. If you are concerned about powering it all the time (from ACC), then wire in a manual switch. But I wouldn't worry about the camera being on the ACC circuit (with an inline fuse, of course). It is solid state and will last for many years. The power drain is very small.

The BU circuit is used for telling your HU that the car is backing-up only. If your HU is configured, itwill switch to the display when BU is energized (depending on settings). It is also used, along with VSS, for dead-reckoning when there is an interruption of sattelite signal. If you also chose to power your camera off your Backup Light circuit, then it will only have power when you are in reverse. In no case does the HU power the camera.

If you want to have the camera operate at other times, you need another power source. If you are concerned about powering it all the time (from ACC), then wire in a manual switch. But I wouldn't worry about the camera being on the ACC circuit (with an inline fuse, of course). It is solid state and will last for many years. The power drain is very small.

So I guess my best bet is to go with another power source with a rocker switch spliced in. I really appreciate the input.

So I guess my best bet is to go with another power source with a rocker switch spliced in. I really appreciate the input.

Here's how I got it setup now. (see attached drawing)... My homework is to find a (when the car is on) power source somewhere in the back and wire the cam so it'll be on when I try to use the "Backup Camera" feature.

post-44675-0-19807100-1301342248_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here's how I got it setup now. (see attached drawing)... My homework is to find a (when the car is on) power source somewhere in the back and wire the cam so it'll be on when I try to use the "Backup Camera" feature.

Wondered if you ever did this mod? I was curious about doing this. I have a 4300dvd though. Still trying to figure out how to exactly wire up the camera. I may have got it thank to your diagram.

Wondered if you ever did this mod? I was curious about doing this. I have a 4300dvd though. Still trying to figure out how to exactly wire up the camera. I may have got it thank to your diagram.

No I haven't worked on it yet. But once I get it done, I will mos def post an update, because I'm sure someone else could benefit from it.

Run the +12v wire to the camera from the same ACC source as the HU. Route the wire along with the RCA video cable. Probably only need an 18 - 22 AWG wire.