AVIC411.com

Possible Solution for those Suffering from BT Call Quality Issues

So I called Pioneer just now to cry some more about my x920bt and its horrible BT call quality and heard a suggestion I'd never gotten before. The guy on the other end suggested cutting the speed pulse wire (the pink one). Has anyone tried this to see if it resolves the BT quality issues where the people on the other end are complaining of horrible quality? Are there any of the DIY guys here who can give it a shot and report back?

The second suggestion was a replacement mic; the one from the DEH-P610BT, but he emphasized trying the speed pulse wire first.

I can't imagine the vss having anything to do with Bluetooth.

This came from Pioneer support and the guy was very adamant about it. Take that for what it's worth. I haven't been inside of a dash in over 15 years (and back then I was a teenager with a roll of electrical tape, an $800 car, and the best pawn shop gear minimum wage could buy) or I'd be glad to try it myself. There has to be someone on this board that it's not too difficult for.

Well the techs at Pioneer are notorious for telling people ridiculous things like that. Regardless are you sure your VSS is even connected? If you had a shop install your unit its likely not even connected.

I am positive it is connected. The installer was someone I know and trust. We researched the VSS wire for my vehicle together and I watched him connect it.

Can you give me some specific examples of Pioneer giving misleading directions in the past that have been this detailed? This guy was telling me "Yes. We know about the issues. You need to cut this wire. It's pink." I've done a lot of searching on the boards and I'm not coming up with much. Just trying to get a little history as it seems you guys are in the know about this.

Also, does anyone know about VSS causing RF interference? Just a thought, but that may be the theory behind this.

• 2 months later...

Wow, that is actually very interesting. I think there might be something to this. I have head that the Pioneers are supposed to have speed sensitive volume controls (i've never had them actully work, despite my vss wire being connected). Is it possible that the BT functions are tied to this as well(ie, mic gain is controlled by the VSS wire?) Has anyone tried this to see if it helps?

On another note, I have considered replacing the microphone. I used to have a Parrot system that worked AMAZING(and, according to Pioneer, the same guts are in the AVIC-X920BT H/U). I was thinking of something like this one: http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=19257 Anyone have any thoughts?

Pioneer navi units do not have speed sensitive volume controls and the VSS has nothing to do with the shitty BT audio quality. Also a different mic will not help as the problem is with the hardware in the unit. If you want good BT audio quality, you need to get a different unit.