AVIC411.com

Need help with a not so typical issue:

I’ve been lurking here for a bit and this being my first post, I’d like to say thank you to everyone who has shared their wealth of information.

So here’s my issue, I have the x920 w/bypass and everything is working as it should. The problem I have is that I park my car in a paid garage with valet service and unfortunately the Avic gets too much attention from the parking attendants. When I enter the garage, I always turn the AV source off but have noticed from time to time (when picking up the car after work) that the source has been changed to XM or the CD was playing. I let it go the first couple of times, but when I picked up my car yesterday, the source was changed to FM & tuned to station playing music in a different language and the part that pissed me off the most was that my EQ settings were changed as well. I didn’t get an avic for other people to play with.

Since the unit powers on with the car, I am thinking about adding a kill switch of sorts for the avic, this way the clowns in the parking garage can’t kill time by playing with my avic. My initial thought is to wire a hidden toggle switch in between the switched power connection of the car’s harness and the avic’s harness. I’m no expert but I think this should work. Any upside or downside to doing this…..or a better way to accomplish the same goal?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Raj

Thanks for the info guys, looks like I’ll be ripping my dash apart again…….

As for complaining to the lot owners, I don’t know how far it will get me since I can’t prove which one (at least) of the 15 attendants is messing with my radio. I doubt the clown would fess up when asked. Plus, I only know the radio has been messed with when the AV source is set to anything other than off or if XM is tuned to a station that I don’t listen to. For all I know, some attendants may be smart enough to set everything back to the way it was to avoid any trouble; or they may learn to do so after a complaint is filed. This is why I would rather put in a kill switch so they can’t mess with it…..

• 2 weeks later...

what i would do instead is us a relay a switch and a siren (any normal siren from a alarm system or a peizo siren should work fine) use the relay to power the siren, then place a switch tapped into the power antenna wire through the switch and then to the relay. now when the radio is turned on while the switch is flipped it will set off the siren, and you should still be close enough to here it and go clean the dudes clock. also pezio siren under the dash can be quite uncomfortable to be near, i think the jack wagon will learn not to mess with your radio.