AVIC411.com

Maps...Have they updated them?

Overall the new X and Z units are MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the old F series. Hands down, no comparison. However, the F series, and the X910 had a different navigation interface that some people prefer over the new one. Inlcude me in this group. I have an X910 and use a Z120 a lot while at work and I like the navigation one the X better. But, when it comes to speed, reliability, features, etc...the new X and the Z take the cake.

Thanks for your response. i wil continue with the purchase of a x920bt i was looking at...hopefully can get use to the new navi interface.

Im merely speaking of the navi portion. Clearly no one can touch the AV interface of the AVICs but they have had better navi in just about every other unit. Take that of the F series, as problematic as those things were, the navi was awesome. How do you take a step back from the disaster of the F series and call it a flagship unit?

I would disagree that Pioneer took a step back in the navigation department with the Z series. It's more like 10 years of stepping back. I had an F910 and after the last update the navigation was amazingly awesome until.... the whole unit died. I was really hoping that Pioneer was going to address the wildly embarrassing issues the Z series navigation has - lack of street names at any zoom level 3D and 2D, and always showing the vehicle location 50 feet behind the actual location, etc. From what JasonH is hinting at, it looks like these issues will continue on even after the units are updated in the near future. sucks

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah...I'm a little surprised VBLUE would say "clearly no one can touch the AVIC interface" ??

Dude...we've had this discussion before. I thought you had agreed with me that the new Sonys are pretty damn sweet with regard to the interface??

And there's still a TON of stuff about the AVICs that make no sense....just look at that long list of weird choices they made in how they laid things out in themenus that we all compiled in here six months or so ago.

Anyway, to get back on topic:

Where the !*@&^# are the 2011 map updates??? It's deep into 2011 and my buddy can't even find a Starbucks that still exists because the ones in the AVIC POI database have all moved or gone under a year ago....

LOL about the map updates. You better get use to that. As far as the interface goes, I guess I should clarify. The general layout of the AV and menu interface I feel is the best out of all the DD units available. I had no problem getting around on the interface. Of course there are things that could have been done better but compared to others, I enjoyed the AV interface of the AVICs. The navi however, complete Fuc*king garbage, the worst! And the Sony's, I like that they are using a real navi software package with TomTom, but I do not like the layout of the AV GUI. Thank god however I never have to worry about stuff like this again now that I have an iPad install in my dash. It is a dream to use compared to DD units. I will be posting my Youtube vid soon on my new setup.