AVIC411.com

NOOB "2wire" By-Pass "GROUNDING" Help

Hey guys...please take it easy on me but I am trying tackle the "2wire" bypass on my z2 (upgraded to z3 w/ 2008 maps by previous owner) in my Nissan 350z with the help of these two links:

The main sticky:

http://www.sminntech.com/z1flash.html

And this youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQiRBefpgpw.

Everything seems pretty straight forward besides the ground the wires part. This is my first time toying with audio and electronics and I don't know what either of those two links mean by "grounding the 2 wires together"? I googled and searched but am still pretty confused with the the DETAILS on HOW to do it. Do the Z's have a grounding wire on the head unit or do I ground it to my car? In either case...HOW do I do either of those 2 options step by step? Thank you so much for any help guys.

SIDE QUESTION. Since the previous owner already upgraded my z2 to z3 with 2008 maps...would I have to still pull the HDD, plug it to my motherboard and do all the step by step again just to upgrade to 2010 maps?

"grounding" means to connect the wires the car's chassis (metal). There is a BLACK wire on the back of the Z in the power harness that also goes to Ground. Just connect the 2 bypass wires to the same place as the black wire on the Avic. This will mean that you have 3 wires (2 for bypass and the black) from the Z connected to the same wire (or screw) in the car.

Yes, you will need to connnect your drive to a PC to upgrade to the latest 2010 maps/software, or you can order the upgrade DVD from Pioneer.

"grounding" means to connect the wires the car's chassis (metal). There is a BLACK wire on the back of the Z in the power harness that also goes to Ground. Just connect the 2 bypass wires to the same place as the black wire on the Avic. This will mean that you have 3 wires (2 for bypass and the black) from the Z connected to the same wire (or screw) in the car.

Yes, you will need to connnect your drive to a PC to upgrade to the latest 2010 maps/software, or you can order the upgrade DVD from Pioneer.

Thank you so much for the response...but by connect...do I do that with electrical tape? or do I HAVE to solder? or how do I do it?

Thank you so much for the response...but by connect...do I do that with electrical tape? or do I HAVE to solder? or how do I do it?

The BEST way is to solder, the next option would be 'crimp' connectors. The last resort would be electrical tape, but it's the worse type of connection and can come loose after some time.