AVIC411.com

Considering upgrade from D3, some questions...

Hey all,

I'm considering upgrading my AVIC-D3 to the X930BT but have some questions to see if it fixes some of the shortcomings of the D3...any help is greatly appreciated.

1) Does the iPhone 4 work properly with this unit, this includes contacts and calls being clear (with the D3 my iPhone 3G sounded good but with my iPhone 4 others can;t hear me very well...contact syncing is a no-go at all with D3).

2) Do unicode characters on MP3's show up? on the D3 it just shows blank info for tracks that have unicode (i.e. Greek in my case).

3) Can I re-use any of the installed components from the D3? This includes the mic, the GPS antenna, the bypass hack, and/or the wiring harness itself? I'm guessing they changed the wiring harness so I'll probably have to rip everything out and re-install but it doesn't hurt to hope :)

4) Is the UI and in particular scrolling improved at all? On the D3 you have to scroll one page at a time through songs and it's painful and slow. Is the UI in general better for searching, buttons sizes etc?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

• 4 weeks later...

I upgraded from the D3 to the x920BT. To answer some of your questions:

1. The Iphone 4 works better with this unit than the D3. You can transfer contacts. However, removing them seems impossible. People still say the sound is muffled on outgoing calls, but less so than on the D3.

2. Don't know.

3. I took out all of the old components so I could sell the D3 as a complete unit. I know the GPS antenna had a different connector. The old BT add-on unit you don't need, obviously as BT is now built-in the X920BT. I did re-use the Sirius and HD Radio tuners. I don't know if the wiring harnesses are interchangable, I doubt it.

4. Ipod UI navigation is vastly improved. I still have some issues*, but you can find your music much faster now.

5. Warning: Do not buy a Pioneer unit for the speech recognition. It don't work.

*For example, when playing a song, and you touch the name of the album, instead of the album's song list diaplaying, it instead lists all of the albums in the library starting with the first one alphabetically.