AVIC411.com

New Speaker Purchase...

Hi Folks,

I've got a Smart Fortwo and am looking to replace the stock speakers in mah car. I've got an AVICF700BT installed and towards the upper levels (55 - 62), the sound starts to get really distorted/crappy. I only have two speakers, in the front. I have a sub and amp in the back for that sub. It works fine, just want to replace the old front speakers.

I'm wanting to be able to buy a set of speakers that are crystal clear at 62. Can anybody recommend what to look for, what kind of specs (frequency, watts, etc)? I know overkill on Watts can be a problem, underkill obviously is just as bad. The speakers are 6.5 inches. I can spend up to $150.

• 3 weeks later...

I would recommend some pioneer 3 ways, try adjusting the bass level down on your full range speakers and run a highpass filter over 120hz. since you have a sub you really dont need bass through your main speakers. Your stereos rms rating is approximately 20w, those speakers rate around 35w. I believe you need 6.5" speakers also.

I'm wanting to be able to buy a set of speakers that are crystal clear at 62.

this is impossible bro, even if you buy a set of $1000 speakers, the radio will still distort at higher volume levels (not just the speakers being pushed past their limits), that just how radios work, usually at 75% of the volume knob being turned up, the radios amp is usually at or near 100%, anything above that and the amp will start to clip (induce distortion) the amps inside these radios are just not meant to be that powerful, they are not even the same as a 50w x 4 standard aftermarket amp.

if you really want to be able to have it clear and loud, then you will need to purchase and install a more powerful amp to drive the new speakers, since you only have two speakers, you only need a two channel amp to add to the one that you have, OR you could replace the one you have with one that could do both, for instance, a four channel amp, having channels one and two drive the speakers and bridging channels three and four to drive the sub.

WARNING, because of there size, the electrical systems in smart cars are not that powerful, they do have a little extra power to spair but not too much, the battery and alternators are very tiny and can not support too powerful of an amp (or amps)