AVIC411.com

XM Module Shuts off when hitting a bump

I have a Z110BT - upgraded to the Z120BT software. I had a so called professional shop do the install in my last truck. The Z110BT worked like a charm. Then about 6 months ago I had them remove it from the old truck and put it into a new truck (they had the radio the entire time). Now when listening to XM (only), when you hit a bump, the XM turns the radio "OFF". It doesn't always reboot the radio, in fact, most of the time it doesn't. The "Professionals" can't figure it out. They have had the radio in and out at least 5 times and have finally decided that it's the head unit. That shocks me since it only happens on the XM, but hey, they are the experts (obviously not on the install). Per their request, I called Pioneer, but they are no help. Even though it's a authorized dealer that broke the unit during the install, somehow I am getting stuck with the bag. So, I am trying to see if anyone has had a similar issue and might have a fix that these guys can't figure out.

I have a Z110BT - upgraded to the Z120BT software. I had a so called professional shop do the install in my last truck. The Z110BT worked like a charm. Then about 6 months ago I had them remove it from the old truck and put it into a new truck (they had the radio the entire time). Now when listening to XM (only), when you hit a bump, the XM turns the radio "OFF". It doesn't always reboot the radio, in fact, most of the time it doesn't. The "Professionals" can't figure it out. They have had the radio in and out at least 5 times and have finally decided that it's the head unit. That shocks me since it only happens on the XM, but hey, they are the experts (obviously not on the install). Per their request, I called Pioneer, but they are no help. Even though it's a authorized dealer that broke the unit during the install, somehow I am getting stuck with the bag. So, I am trying to see if anyone has had a similar issue and might have a fix that these idiots can't figure out. Otherwise my last attempt will probably be the legal route with the dealer.

If you are in the Omaha, NE area, stay away from Inphase Audio...better yet, run away!!!! Pure incompetence.

Disclosure: I've never even seen the XM module, so my ideas are just wild guesses. 1st, I'm assuming when you say "radio", you mean the Head Unit (HU). Just want to be sure cause technically the XM tuner (GEX-P920XM ?) is a radio too.

I would think that it is the GEX-P920XM that is causing the HU to crash. It appears that the GEX-P920XM gets its power from the HU. Maybe a short in either the IP-BUS cable or a connector problem. Check for bent pins/contacts. Or it is possible that the GEX-P920XM is the problem. I'd leave it unplugged for a while just to make sure that the HU only crashes when the XM is on. Just to eliminate the possibility that it is a coincidence that it only seems to happen with XM. Do you have anything else chained on the IP_BUS? (HD radio, Sirius).

Are you sure with your new installation there is enough cooling for the HU?

Disclosure: I've never even seen the XM module, so my ideas are just wild guesses. 1st, I'm assuming when you say "radio", you mean the Head Unit (HU). Just want to be sure cause technically the XM tuner (GEX-P920XM ?) is a radio too.

I would think that it is the GEX-P920XM that is causing the HU to crash. It appears that the GEX-P920XM gets its power from the HU. Maybe a short in either the IP-BUS cable or a connector problem. Check for bent pins/contacts. Or it is possible that the GEX-P920XM is the problem. I'd leave it unplugged for a while just to make sure that the HU only crashes when the XM is on. Just to eliminate the possibility that it is a coincidence that it only seems to happen with XM. Do you have anything else chained on the IP_BUS? (HD radio, Sirius).

Are you sure with your new installation there is enough cooling for the HU?

I do mean the Head Unit and no, there are no other add on modudules to test, just the XM Tuner. The XM Tuner (GEX-P920XM) has been replaced. I am trying now not to use the XM module to see if it still crashes. If it was the IP BUS, would it matter if the XM Tuner was still plugged in? It hasn't ever happend if I select another source. It happens multiple times per commute with the XM tuner selected. They have had the unit apart multiple times, so I would hope that they have looked at the pins at least once. I am not the radio install expert, thus the reason I paid to have mine professionally installed. So maybe it's time I learned. Thanks for the comment.

The XM Tuner (GEX-P920XM) has been replaced. I am trying now not to use the XM module to see if it still crashes. If it was the IP BUS, would it matter if the XM Tuner was still plugged in? It hasn't ever happend if I select another source.

I don't know if the XM tuner is receiving power when it is not "on". Maybe someone else does. And, am I correct that there is no other external power source to the XM? I am only going by the Z110 installation manual, which doesn't show any other cables. But their drawing shows a couple of jacks on the back of the GEX-P920XM, so I am not sure.

Yeah, leave it off for a while, and drive through every pot-hole you can find. I used to live there - I'm sure that won't be a problem.

After taking one more shot, I think the installer actually got it figured out. The fuse powering the XM module was just loose enough, I guess when you pulled on it, it would shut down the XM module. So they cut off that fuse block and replaced it with a blade fuse block. Hasn't happened since. Those fuse blocks that come with it must be pretty sensitive.