AVIC411.com

I have an avic-f700bt and have all the cables i need to hook up my ipod classic 160 gig probably a 1st or 2nd gen cause i have had it for a few years now. I plug it in and it will bring it up on the screen for about 2 seconds then shuts the avic-f700bt off and when i try to reconnect it will only charge sometimes. I have tried two different ipods and 3 different sets up rcas n usbs. It reads my thumbdrive great. When i first installed it everything worked great for about 2 days then it stopped. The usb reads my thumbdrive and never turns off but im out of ideas.

^^^ true, the 5th gens where 30,60,40, and 80 gigs and had a plastic front face with straight front edges (yes the corners are curved)

all of the 6th gens had aluminum faces with rounded off edges, they started out with either 80 or 160 gigs (these are the ones that ive seen the most issues with as they used a different HDD manufacturer which ive heard had too high of power requirements, and caused problems with a bunch of different brands of radios), both of these sizes where discontinued and replaced with a 120gb which was replaced by a new 160 later

im not sure what my 160 is then it looks like a normal ipod its a 160 gig andand i have had it for about 5 years but my newer 120 gig that is 2-3 years old doesn't work with it either and the sterao is updated to the most current update and also both ipods are to. Is their another ipod that works better with the system that is at least an 80 gig?

you could try a 80gb 5th gen. find a friend that has a 5th gen and see if it still has the same problem, otherwise it could be a problem with the avic software, as there is a different interface for USB and IPOD