AVIC411.com

This thread is for those out there who installed a backup camera along with your appradio and are having the same or different issues i have.

My issues are: first the camera response when shifting to reverse is very delayed in contrast with other HU ive seen. it takes like 3-5 seconds for the camera to come up after shifting into reverse. Secondly ive been having problems when shifting into reverse immediately after starting my car. The usual thing the radio does when immediately shifting into reverse after just starting the car is that it skips the boot sequence all the way to the "ok screen", but lately maybe 1 out of 10 times the camera display gets stucked in the HU, the "ok screen" never appears and the camera continues to be displayed so the HU doesn't function. So the only way to get the radio to work again is to turn off the car and restarting it (that might not be a solution for others, because i currently have a problem with my radio rebooting every time i start my car and the normal boot up behavior should be this one click here http://appradiocentral.com/post/7243220251/in-response-to-some-questions-about-how-quickly , so that wouldn't be a solution to others since assuming your boot up is working like the boot up in the video i would assume the camera would still apear in the screen even if turning the car off due to the 5 minute fuction, for those who dont understand what my booting problem is click here http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/31218-how-to-avoid-reboot-when-starting-vehicle/ ) i dont know if these problems are only happening to me, i would like to hear feedback of your experience with the appradio and you BU camera.

I have had the system lock up three times. Once when i was backung up and it stayed on the camera. Twice it just hung and never booted all the way. Once i hit the rest button. The other two times i had to wait for the 5 min thingy to expire and restart the car.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

If I shift into reverse during startup about when the red Pioneer logo comes up my screen gets stuck in rear camera mode. I have to either put it in reverse right after I start the engine or wait for the OK screen. PITA. I have the latest firmware.

to at least test, you can maybe set the reverse polarity to Off, and then manually change to back up camera when you need to, then turn if off when you don't. (ie, do not auto show on reverse gear)

I know it sucks to not be automatic, but at least you can use your head unit to the fullest, and not have the camera image locking up.

Is power to your camera's PSU being fed from the Reverse tail lamp, or to the Radio Accessory wire?

I set my camera Power onto the Reverse wire, didn't even connect the reserve wire form the unit to anything.

I know I can't see the reverse driving forward in this scenario, but a cheap back-up camera isn't designed to be on for hours at a time.. hence they tell you to wire to the reverse tail lamp, so it's off otherwise.

running it while the car is on all the time seems that cheaper cameras and PSUs will probably start failing.

if the camera takes 1-10 secs to respond initially, it would seem the power to it isn't a solid connection, or you may have just pushed it too hard being on all the time wired to the accessory, etc.

I thought about wiring mine into the rear tail light, or fog light 12V+ so I could turn on/off if I wanted to have it for towing or forward operation, but that seemed like a hassle, and I quickly realized I wouldn't use it enough, and why risk the extra uptime operation of it at night time if it's power circuity was intended minimal usage in reverse only.

Just my 2 cents, but not a suggestion at all.

If you mess with the backup camera polarity setting and set it wrong you'll have to reset your deck option or your reverse camera might be locked on all the time. no matter what you press

• 1 month later...

i also have this issue.....

AppRadio1 using iphone4s

it only happens at a certain point.... mainly towards the end of the boot up process and when selecting reverse at this point.

the first thing i have to do upon starting my car is to reverse out of my drive so i'm always a bot wary.

If i do it quick enough then all is ok or i have to wait until the boot has finished.

luckily my trip to work is only 10mins and i can live without crap breakfast radio ;)

Any solutions from pioneer greatly received

JJ

I just received a call from visions where I bought my deck. They are having me come in so they can do a firmware update that will fix a problem with the back up camera. I guess it's locking up and has caused some accidents so they are getting the distributors to do the firmware update. I will be signing off that they did the work so they can send the paperwork back to Pioneer.

I hadn't installed my camera yet so haven't seen the problem myself.

Visions couldn't do the update, couldn't figure out how to do it. I already had the update installed already any ways so no big deal. I'll be installing my camera next week so will see shortly if it works ok.

That doesn't really surprise me. I'm guessing their technicians are no better than the ones employed at Future Shop or Best Buy. lol

I have a backup camera and have had no major issues. The only thing I don't like about it is that the Appradio has the brightness turned WAY up on the camera by default. It's great at night, but during the day it washes out a lot of the picture.

Mine has the IR mode as well.

There are settings to modify the picture from the camera. No worries there. You'll find that once you have it installed that it becomes a nearly essential part of your car. I hear they're going to mandate them in the US in the next couple of years.