AVIC411.com

Z2 Re-Installation Problems

My uncle gave me a Z2, so I used my general head unit knowledge (as well as lurking on these forums a few times) and installed it in my 2003 civic LX. I had the GPS velcrod on top of my steering column, right behind my wheel and for a couple months it worked fine. During installing I accidentally connected the z2 illumination wire to my cars dimmer (knew because the dimmer knob controlled the brightness) so I decided today to fix it, as well as move my GPS to my trunk, and also connect my new sirius radio to the aux audio input. So I do all that fairly easily, and now I have a few problems and I can't seem to find out why.

1) I didn't get a parking brake error as usual, but after moving for ~30 seconds it popped up and locked me out. I read on This bypass guide that if that happens, the connector 2 (wire #2) isn't connected properly. I extended the light green parking brake and connector#2 wires with some generic copper wire, drilled a screw directly into the chassis behind where the headunit sits, and grounded both wires under the screw tightly - not sure what is causing the issue.

2) *edit* ***The calibration was just taking awhile. Just went driving and it is working fine.***I reset the 3D calibration since the GPS was moved to the trunk, but it didn't even locate me until I got back home from where I was working, which is about 3 miles. Under the status menu when driving it says, "excessive vibration". Granted, I never really looked in there while driving, so it may have said that before - not sure if that is playing into why the GPS is not locating me even though it has 2 bars and 5-7 satellites.

3) The only audio input I saw on the entire unit was connector #1s red/white RCA "audio input" cords. My sirius radio uses a 3.5mm jack, so, I bought a 3.5mm to RCA cord. I connected the RCA to the Z2, electrical taped them so they wouldn't disconnect, turned on aux input in settings, and plugged in my iphone - nothing. iPod - nothing. Sirius - nothing. Clueless as well on why this didn't work. The only 3.5mm hole anywhere on the z2 or any of the connectors is a "wired remote input", which definitely has nothing to do with auxiliary.

4) I would like to connect the VSS, but I have no idea how hard it is or where the wire even is in my car. Haven't looked much in-depth in this, but any direction would be helpful.

I know this is a large thread with multiple questions, but any help is appreciated. Thank you.

My uncle gave me a Z2, so I used my general head unit knowledge (as well as lurking on these forums a few times) and installed it in my 2003 civic LX. I had the GPS velcrod on top of my steering column, right behind my wheel and for a couple months it worked fine. During installing I accidentally connected the z2 illumination wire to my cars dimmer (knew because the dimmer knob controlled the brightness) so I decided today to fix it, as well as move my GPS to my trunk, and also connect my new sirius radio to the aux audio input. So I do all that fairly easily, and now I have a few problems and I can't seem to find out why.

1) I didn't get a parking brake error as usual, but after moving for ~30 seconds it popped up and locked me out. I read on This bypass guide that if that happens, the connector 2 (wire #2) isn't connected properly. I extended the light green parking brake and connector#2 wires with some generic copper wire, drilled a screw directly into the chassis behind where the headunit sits, and grounded both wires under the screw tightly - not sure what is causing the issue.

2) *edit* ***The calibration was just taking awhile. Just went driving and it is working fine.***I reset the 3D calibration since the GPS was moved to the trunk, but it didn't even locate me until I got back home from where I was working, which is about 3 miles. Under the status menu when driving it says, "excessive vibration". Granted, I never really looked in there while driving, so it may have said that before - not sure if that is playing into why the GPS is not locating me even though it has 2 bars and 5-7 satellites.

3) The only audio input I saw on the entire unit was connector #1s red/white RCA "audio input" cords. My sirius radio uses a 3.5mm jack, so, I bought a 3.5mm to RCA cord. I connected the RCA to the Z2, electrical taped them so they wouldn't disconnect, turned on aux input in settings, and plugged in my iphone - nothing. iPod - nothing. Sirius - nothing. Clueless as well on why this didn't work. The only 3.5mm hole anywhere on the z2 or any of the connectors is a "wired remote input", which definitely has nothing to do with auxiliary.

4) I would like to connect the VSS, but I have no idea how hard it is or where the wire even is in my car. Haven't looked much in-depth in this, but any direction would be helpful.

I know this is a large thread with multiple questions, but any help is appreciated. Thank you.

1. go into the hardware settings and see if 'parking brake' shows 'on'. If so, your ground is good so you need to check wire #2 at the back of the headunit. If not, then the grounding location you used is not a chassis ground.

2. Press the reset button, and it may clear the 'excessive vibration" warning.

3. It's not 'aux' input. You are using the 'A/V input'. Try that source and you should hear your sirius radio.

4. I found some info on the VSS for 2003 Honda Civic:

SPEED SENSE - white/green - PCM ( I do not know where the PCM is located in your car)

The vss is in connector A (31 pins), pin 18.

If you have cruise control: The vss is also blue/white at the cruise control module to the left of the steering column.

1. go into the hardware settings and see if 'parking brake' shows 'on'. If so, your ground is good so you need to check wire #2 at the back of the headunit. If not, then the grounding location you used is not a chassis ground.

2. Press the reset button, and it may clear the 'excessive vibration" warning.

3. It's not 'aux' input. You are using the 'A/V input'. Try that source and you should hear your sirius radio.

4. I found some info on the VSS for 2003 Honda Civic:

SPEED SENSE - white/green - PCM ( I do not know where the PCM is located in your car)

The vss is in connector A (31 pins), pin 18.

If you have cruise control: The vss is also blue/white at the cruise control module to the left of the steering column.

1) I'm thinking it is the wire#2 in the actual connector that is the problem because while I was doing the bypass I asked my Dad, who knows a ton about cars, if the steel bar running horizontally behind the dash was part of the chassis and he thought it was. That is where I drilled my ground screw.

2) The GPS is working fine now, so I don't think that message was causing the gps to not work - was probably just calibrating slowly from the reset.

3) I found this out late last night and everything works :) thank you

4) I also looked around and found that it is a blu/wht wire on the ECU behind the glove box. Not sure which is the correct one.