AVIC411.com

I hope this topic isn't covered yet. But I found it very difficult finding directions on successfully installing a switch-bypass for the newer Pioneer units.

From research from the the web, I found two distinct sites:

and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8HCcNy9QQQ. The two essentially explaining the installation for a 12-volt relay. But the latter pointing out (in the comments section) the simple grounding of a, SPSD-switch, was not possible.

Likewise, I learned, from Google searches, that a, SPDT-switch, acts as an conductor. Making the parking brake and ground wire conspire with each other. Thus, duping the unit into thinking the parking is triggered.

The procedure cited: quote (from: http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/18807-toggle-switch-for-video-in-motion/page__p__135799__hl__%2Btoggle+%2Bswitch+%2Bbypass__fromsearch__1#entry135799):

"There are 3 terminals on the switch I have: 1 for the first switch position, and 1 for the second, and 1 common. The parking brake wire from the radio goes to the center (common) terminal, then one or the remaining terminals goes to ground and the other to the parking brake switch."

Is the indicated a accurate approach to incorporate a switch?

Or is there an addition to this method?

This is my initial post, but I cannot discern a clear method to perturb this problem.

Jeez. All alone again.

Never mind I got it kind of.

I did the initial install with a toggle switch from, Radio Shack, of all places.

I installed the unit somehow, found the break wire, and installed the switch from Radio Shack.

It took me awhile to figure out which switch to use without soldering for an off center, SPDT switch. So I chose the switch (a center off model Model:

275-711; can be connected via connectors by crimping to a connector of the same size; forget the size).

Kinda worked. But the guy from another forum says:

He connected the break wire as intended, cut the wire, at an appropriate length.

Then he took the cut wire from the unit to the middle prong ect, then cut wire from the break wire to the other open wire, then the ground from the unit to the left over prong. Apparently for switch option and normal function (so parking break, is used as intended).

Now since the switch I had had three prongs.

The middle prong was used, two prongs were left open.

Now the wire that was cut from the parking break connects to either side.

Then for the other prong. The other cut side, from the parking break or unit.

Now the switch goes to either side.

One to the parking break crimp, and one to the bypass.

------

So it still works to watch videos for passengers, but the parking break function is still missing.

But at least the menu function are still controlled by the user when needed. That was fun.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...