AVIC411.com

700BT startup time, touch sensitivity and some other stuff

Guys, I bought a used 700BT about a year ago. Well, long story short, never got it installed until a couple of weeks ago. Can't add addresses to the GPS and (greyed out) and none of the phone functions work.

Well, we figured it had to be bypassed so I got the instructions for it, my buddy came back this week and did it and still nothing. Seems the light green wire for the parking brake or something (according to the installation manual) is not on the harness so he'll be posting here soon to try to figure out what the deal is.

Anyway, till then, I'm curious about some other things. Is the damn boot time always this slow and can it be sped up?

Seems the touch sensitivity on my unit sucks. Is it my unit or is this normal?

Colors/contrast on the maps really suck...is this normal, can it be updated/changed/hacked?

Is there an update that lets me make the clock in different modes bigger? I can barely see this thing when I'm playing music and I have no other clock in the truck.

Volume knob takes too many damn turns to get to decent volume. Normally I like this but damn, this is a little bit too much.

Any list of different firmware updates/hacks so one can compare before deciding on one?

Thanks

George

ok

clock can not be changed without hacking the device

map schemes can be added when hacking the device

the boot time and sensitivity are improved with almost each update to the system, however, this system still will take longer to boot than almost every system i have ever worked with

as far as you harness not having the green wire (P-brake), either someone pulled it out, or you got sent the wrong harness, if you look hard enough, there have been pictures posted that show pinout locations, you probably could add your own pin to the harness for the bypass.

long story short, read up on the hacking, first and foremost, make a system back up (even if you dont plan to mod the system) and find somebody's mod files that you like and go to town!

Thanks, that's the plan so we'll see how that goes.

The guy that's been trying to install this is supposed to register here and ask a few questions. Quite frankly, I have a very serious reading comprehension/retention/concentration problem (didn't use to be that way) so everything I try to read up on kinda speeds up inside the brain and comes out the other side faster than it came in so I tend to look for help. Luckily, there are a few things I'm still good at :)

I wrote to a guy who's mod I liked on youtube but never got a reply.

Is there a list on here somewhere with all the mods/updates?

So, how come it's so slow booting up?

Now, if I get someone's mod, is that not the same as someone hacking the unit? Ie, the clock could be changed/redesigned?

Also, is the sensitivity some common issue or is it just my unit? My Kenwoods were much more sensitive.

By the way, saturday when the hardware bypass failed, we talked about the possibility of someone ripping the wire out and my installer said he wasn't sure he could put a pin back or something.

How much is the harness so he won't have to go through this again? If the green wire is NOT on the harness, there's no reason to suspect that the problem is say, inside the unit, right? I mean,

the wire is missing so it should hopefully be that simple?

Would this harness be correct? http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-Wire-Harness-AVIC-F700BT-F710BT-X715BT-F7010BT-/380365899187?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588f9305b3

Of course, I should probably get one with all the connectors on it to save him from having to put them back on this harness but they all seem to be fifty bucks and I'm low on money. Advice on the harness part please? (as in what and where to buy).

Thanks

George

Is there a list on here somewhere with all the mods/updates?

not really a list so to speak, but there is a whole section of the forum for hacking and mods

So, how come it's so slow booting up?
have you ever seen a windows computer boot up super fast? hell my PC with an i7 and SSD's still takes just under 60 seconds to boot up fully

Now, if I get someone's mod, is that not the same as someone hacking the unit? Ie, the clock could be changed/redesigned?
yes hacking and mods are one in the same, now as far as i know, the clock can only be adjusted in the nav side, at least when i got mine, the clock on the AV side was not able to be changed

Also, is the sensitivity some common issue or is it just my unit? My Kenwoods were much more sensitive.
the sensitivity definitely is not as good as a lot of other brands(or even as different models in the same brand) but the newer updates seem to make a good difference

How much is the harness so he won't have to go through this again? If the green wire is NOT on the harness, there's no reason to suspect that the problem is say, inside the unit, right? I mean,

the wire is missing so it should hopefully be that simple?

Would this harness be correct? http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-Wire-Harness-AVIC-F700BT-F710BT-X715BT-F7010BT-/380365899187?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588f9305b3

that looks like the right harness to me

Upgraded from 1.9 to 3.021 and the improvement was massive, well the booting still isn't quick but the touch screen sensitivity is 1000 x better!!

this is exactly what i was referring to

the OP need to fix the bypass problem first (well the no P brake problem), then he can check his firmware version and get any updates

Yep, hopefully next week my buddy'll get it done. I've ordered the harness and it's going from FL to NC so it should be here soon.

I'll be back with a report.

Is the internal memory big enough to hold all the maps/updated maps?

When I use an SD card, do I need to format it or can it have stuff on it (pics and other stuff) already?

Is the internal memory big enough to hold all the maps/updated maps?
yes, the update will over write the maps with new maps (if the update that you are doing, includes maps as well)

When I use an SD card, do I need to format it or can it have stuff on it (pics and other stuff) already?

i always make sure that there is nothing else on it just to be extra careful, but im not sure if this is an unnecessary step in the process.